You cannot beat the taste of home grown tomatoes

RudeKittyLuvsTesla

Power Conserver
Reaction score
hwillm1977 said:
mmmm..... I've still got a week before I can put my tomato seedlings outside, and a LOOOONG time before I get tomatoes but I'm looking forward to it and can't wait!
Mine are in the ground, but like you, it will be a while. I have flowers now on many of my varieties. Right now, I am delighting in the smell of the plant itself. I am excited for mine to ripen. I am ready for a Tomato sandwich... little salt and pepper. I Love sitting in the garden and eating right off the bush. We get the neighbors together with chairs and beer. Everyone picks a plant to sit near and munch while we visit. mmmmm Happy happy spring everybody!!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
moolie said:
Beautiful garden--I'd be looking forward to enjoying those tomatoes as well!

hwillm1977 said:
mmmm..... I've still got a week before I can put my tomato seedlings outside, and a LOOOONG time before I get tomatoes but I'm looking forward to it and can't wait!
Ditto that, we won't have tomatoes until early August--and those will be the cherry variety. The big ones and the romas will start to ripen later in August and through into September.
Wow! I really feel sorry for you guys. We have LOTS of tomatoes. Been eating them all winter thanks to the PVC greenhouse we made. Then one plant took off again, gifting us with 20-30 a week. Planted our seeds in January and set them out in March. They are now loaded with green tomatoes and we will be picking soon. Want me to send ya'll some?

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh sure, rub it in ;)

Actually, despite the challenge I love growing tomatoes each year. The smell of tomato plants is just part of summer to me. Not sure I'd trade my challenging growing climate for the extreme summers you folks get down there!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
moolie said:
Oh sure, rub it in ;)

Actually, despite the challenge I love growing tomatoes each year. The smell of tomato plants is just part of summer to me. Not sure I'd trade my challenging growing climate for the extreme summers you folks get down there!
You are right about the heat, it is good training if one has been bad in life and expects to go to he11. :lol: I might be rubbing it in now, but I'll get what I've got coming. We are in severe drought and soon I will watch everything burn to a brown crisp despite my best efforts to water the garden into Swampworld. I might want to come for a visit. :thumbsup