Youngest Daughter Getting Married

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's been almost 3 years since my soon to be son in law asked me if he could marry my youngest daughter. Well they are getting married in October. My youngest daughter is not one to make life difficult. They are getting married at the court house and we are planning on a whole hog pig pickin, with a few sides at one of the state park shelters (wife already has the shelter reserved). I've been tagged with making hard cider for the reception. How much cider do you reckon I should make for about 60 adults?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
A WHOLE BUNCH!!!! Congratulations on the up coming wedding!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I love an October wedding and I love it that your daughter is so very sensible. Sounds like it will be much more fun than the usual wedding...and sounds yummier!!!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
If it's like weddings in my family, it will never be enough alcohol.

Thinking about a 1/4 barrel of each apple and pear. A quarter barrel is 7.75 gallons. So 2 quarter barrels would be 15 1/2 gallons - that's a lot of high octave bubble juice.

But if I got 4 5 gallon cider kits that would leave me with 4 1/2 gallons to bottle, which is OK by me I like cider and so does my daughter in laws.

I just need to find a couple of 1/4 barrels. I'll talk with my buddy at the home brew store. He could order me a couple or even might know where I could pick up a few used ones cheap.

I just love being voluntold about stuff like this. Well this was more volunasked but I couldn't say no.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Congrats on your DD's upcoming wedding! It sounds like it's going to be a great event :)

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
:celebrateFUN!!

My son had a pig pickin' for his reception...lovely event. Casual enough that all enjoyed it. Oh, the ceremony was there also.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Your daughter is making a wise decision. IMO, weddings are about family. NOT about putting on a show that will break the bank. I think I heard recently that the average wedding costs 28K. That would go a very long way towards buying a house. Or setting up a retirement fund. The best, and most fun weddings I've attended have done on a short buck:

Niece married at a little country church followed by reception at her house with catered BBQ, and live band.

Friends married at a park, followed by pot luck dinner.

Dtr of close friend bought her gown at good will, and had her reception in church fellowship hall, with catering done by some of the church ladies.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Let's calc it out: 60 guests @ 3 glasses each = 180 glasses
180 x 12 ounce glass = 2160 ounces / 128 ounce per gallon = 16 gallons

Found this online: 1/4 barrel = 7.75 gallons = 62 pints = 83 12oz bottles

Last edited: