Young's Demonstrative Translation of Scientific Secrets

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
I have a copy of a file called "Young's Demonstrative Translation of Scientific Secrets". This is actually the text of a book dated 1861 that is mostly various recipes and "how to's" covering a very wide range of subjects. The book was transposed by a family in Toronto, back in 1990.

Just a few of the subjects covered are:

Making Inks, Paints, Varnishes, and Stains, Insect Killers, Soaps

Making Yeast, Vinegar, Wedding Cakes

Soldering

Treating Horse Ailments, Training Horses

Preserving Pork

Medicines

The book uses a lot of measurements and terms that are obsolete and a bit of research would need to be done to equate them with their modern terms.

WARNING!!! A lot of the "recipe's" use ingredients that are extremely hazardous and/or poisonous. Also, some of the horse training methods would certainly not be approved by the SPCA.

Still it is an interesting read, if only to see how things were done 150 years ago.

If you would like a copy, drop me a note with your e-mail address and I'll be happy to send it to you. I can also convert the file to an Adobe Acrobat pdf file if your would prefer.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Thanks, some strange stuff, and the horse stuff is absolutely barbaric!! But the medical stuff reminded me a lot of the James Herriot books, his experiences with the old-timers back in the '30's.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
k0xxx said:
I have a copy of a file called "Young's Demonstrative Translation of Scientific Secrets". This is actually the text of a book dated 1861 that is mostly various recipes and "how to's" covering a very wide range of subjects. The book was transposed by a family in Toronto, back in 1990.

Just a few of the subjects covered are:

Making Inks, Paints, Varnishes, and Stains, Insect Killers, Soaps

Making Yeast, Vinegar, Wedding Cakes

Soldering

Treating Horse Ailments, Training Horses

Preserving Pork

Medicines

The book uses a lot of measurements and terms that are obsolete and a bit of research would need to be done to equate them with their modern terms.

WARNING!!! A lot of the "recipe's" use ingredients that are extremely hazardous and/or poisonous. Also, some of the horse training methods would certainly not be approved by the SPCA.

Still it is an interesting read, if only to see how things were done 150 years ago.

If you would like a copy, drop me a note with your e-mail address and I'll be happy to send it to you. I can also convert the file to an Adobe Acrobat pdf file if your would prefer.
COOL
thanks for the offer...would love to see it and sent you a PM

Funny but 150 years ago to me doesn't seem that long ago. My parents are in their early 80s.....so it is only 1 more long lifetime before them...hmm...seems short to me..HA HA HA

We came a long way fast in general with our subjects....wonder what people will think of our "barbaric" ways about 200 years from now when they read our books...LOL

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Sounds like a great read. Sent you a PM with my email address.

I love those kinds of things