Your Grocery Bill

Acre of Blessings

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Farmerchick~~What part of Carolina do you llive in? I am from the Seagrove/Asheboro area but I am now in Southside Virginia.

Just curious if you were anywhere near me so I can find out where that store is. :)

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Farmerchick, I don't have one of those stores around that I know of. I'd sure shop there if we did!

I'm glad to hear I'm spending about the same amount on groceries as everyone else. I read stories of people spending $40-$50 a week on groceries and I think, "Wow, we must be really wasteful or something."

We spend around $100 a week for a family of 4. That usually includes a 5pk for $20 meat deal. We have a couple of stores that do that.

We end up spending a lot of money on a few things that I don't have the heart to give up yet. I get a big block of cheddar that cost around $6 or $7 every week. John gets two big packs of sliced cheese and two big packs of lunch meat for lunch. That's probably $20 worth of stuff, right there.

My little boy has to get rice milk. My big boy has to get cow milk. John would buy $20 worth of potato chips if I'd let him. (sigh) We buy a ten pound bag of sugar for tea (some of it gets used in my baking.) I like to keep oatmeal, grits & raisin bran. When I buy syrup, I like to buy real maple syrup--everything else is made with corn syrup, which I try to avoid. I also keep brown rice (more expensive than white) and whole wheat pasta (also more expensive than white.)

It cost a lot of money to eat.

They just keep eating! :D

Cassandra

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We are at about $120 ish for family of five including DS and occasional friends who come through the kitchen like termites. We have our chickens for eggs, and eat very little meat, big garden etc. I'm able to sell enough eggs to cover feed costs.

I also cook almost everything from scratch. Lest you think I'm some kind of Martha Stewart- I'm NOT. I am just very cheap. Can't justify paying $2.50 for a loaf of bread when I can make one for $.47

We also bought a CSA share for the summer. I think it was around $750. The cost on that keeps inching up. The winter share is $890 :ep As much as I'd love to continue to support the program, I might not be able to afford that one. We'll see.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
hi chickcrew
Farmerchick~~What part of Carolina do you llive in? I am from the Seagrove/Asheboro area but I am now in Southside Virginia.

****I am near Charlotte, little town of Maiden, but the salvage store I go to is in the little town of Denver near me. I love that store......another little salvage/dented grocery opened in Maiden but their prices are higher and they are severly limited on things.

I got 64 oz. apple juice (about $2.50 per bottle in Walmart) for $.99 each. I grabbed the last 6 they had..LOL...Nicole loves apple juice.

You are from a nice area --seagrove....isn't that where the huge artist pottery area is and they have a big pottery festival? My friend Barb went and said it was wonderful....always wanted to go!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score

They just keep eating!

****HA HA HA Cassandra
yup, they do keep eating...eating us out of house and home..HA HA

I am a cheese hound also. I love the big blocks of sharp cheddar, I can inhale them
:)

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:

They just keep eating!

****HA HA HA Cassandra
yup, they do keep eating...eating us out of house and home..HA HA

I am a cheese hound also. I love the big blocks of sharp cheddar, I can inhale them
:)
I don't think I could eat a block of cheddar. you know why....

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Can't justify paying $2.50 for a loaf of bread when I can make one for $.47

***wow poppcat---you sure can't question that math!! :)

and it is more delish!!!!!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score

***LOL--sorry you can't..HA HA
I sure could...LOL

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:

***LOL--sorry you can't..HA HA
I sure could...LOL
I wouldn't be in the BR in a few weeks if I ate a whole block of cheddar. ;)