Your Grocery Bill

heatherv

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
goodlife said:
I've recently started something new--shopping only once a month except for things like bananas/lettuce or other produce that you can't store. I'm hoping that will eliminate more of the impulse buying if I'm at the store only 1 time a month as opposed to 4 times! Anyone else do this?
Yes, I started doing that this month. Seeing how far we could get through the month w/ just one fill up trip. I've picked up bread and milk a fresh veggies once. Yesterday had to stop for burger for chili and the extra's started flying in the cart "mom can we get burritos, can we get corn dogs" So I know my budget does better on one big planned trip, then stop and get essentials in between. I won't buy the extra cereal that's on sale, or the this and that that's on sale. My pantry is plenty stocked, from good sale prices combined w/ coupons. but I still tend to get those impulse buys b/c well "I saved on those items, so I have extra to buy ........" So if I had more will power, and no kids w/ me at the store, then I can save probably a couple hundred a month! LOL! That's pathetic!

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
goodlife said:
I budget $120 a week for a family of 5. That does not include $12 a week for milk (which we buy from a local farmer and thus the discount) or major meat (we buy this from a relative in bulk about once a year but soon will be raising our own, Lord-willing). That amount also includes diapers for 2 children which is quite a lot. I buy very few snacks--usually just ice cream, no prepared foods and I make all our own bread. I buy off-brands and try to can/freeze a lot. I've recently started something new--shopping only once a month except for things like bananas/lettuce or other produce that you can't store. I'm hoping that will eliminate more of the impulse buying if I'm at the store only 1 time a month as opposed to 4 times! Anyone else do this?
I food shop once or twice a month usually.
I will go and fill up a few carts with all the dry foods, canned goods, meat etc.

Walmart is right next door to the grocery store so I will go over there for anything else I might need that is cheaper there, batteries, toiletries, papergoods etc.

Then I will try to hit the farmer's markets for my weekly produce.

The only other times I have to go to the market in between my shopping trips is if we need deli meat/cheese for school lunches.
But since I have to go by that store in my daily life anyway its no big deal.
I just make sure I go in and buy only what I need.
Its too easy to start picking up other stuff on your way to the deli counter and back to the registers.

I never take the kids with me anymore either, not unless I need a strong teenage boy to help transport the load.

Can someone please tell me who the genius was that decided to start selling toys in the supermarket?!

Mom can I buy this 24 pack of crayons for $10.00 or this $15.00 playdough?

Geez, and that folks is another reason I do not take my children to the supermarket with me.

krjwaj

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Our Harris Teeter Food store here is doing triple coupons this week. Without itemizing everything here, I saved $30.00 this morning between the tripled coupons and my Vic (store) Card.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
simplelife
you ain't kidding about the stupid toys in the grocery. Mom I want a toy...UGH, if they just weren't there I wouldn't have to say NO a hundred times....and the prices you quoted, those are about right..HA HA

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yup, I get the email flyer on HT and they offered the triple coupons. I am going to take advantage like you.....you did great saving $30. That money will go a LONG way in your new car with that better gas mileage! :)

TX Honky

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hi all! Im new to this forum and I'm very very interested in saving money at the store. Im a stahm and I feel bad everytime I go to the store every two weeks. I do not add to our income and even though my dh make decent pay Istill feel like I really need to make a diference. I don't really go anywere during the week except maybe the thrift store, not because I have to but because I was raised that way and it's fun to me, it's like hunting for tresure.....every 2 weeks is grocerie day and I look forward to it because I'm at home a lot. I cook alot and so that to me calls for alot of food. When my dh is off I cook 3 meals a day. I have chickens and so I've recently been able to skip the eggs at the store but thats it. Im not good at coupons however I would love to be. I shop at walmart for everything, I buy a lot of generics and it still runs us....are you ready..........400.00 every 2 weeks. I know I know me dh 5yo boy and 1yo girl 2 dogs 2cats and 18 chickens so where am I going wrong? We dont have a Farmers Market here. I won't have a garden until next year and i make my own salsa and jam. We don't belive in eating out much, maybe once in a blue moon. Milk at the store is sooooo exspensive......I wish I had a cow, except I've never had milk straight from a cow so Im afraid it would be to different...dh says it's yummy. So which one of you frugal experts are ready to come to TX and go to the store with me?

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have never ever had any luck with coupons and it burns my hide! First of all, there's no stores around here that double or triple them. Secondly, I can only find coupons for expensive stuff I don't use anyway.

The only coupons I ever find are for name brand, convenience foods. I don't use that stuff.

I do better just buying cheap food.

Cassandra

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
TX Honky said:
Im a stahm and I feel bad everytime I go to the store every two weeks. I do not add to our income and even though my dh make decent pay Istill feel like I really need to make a diference.
You make a difference by spending wisely and caring for your family. Please don't underestimate your worth.

Nuggetsowner:)

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have never ever had any luck with coupons and it burns my hide! First of all, there's no stores around here that double or triple them. Secondly, I can only find coupons for expensive stuff I don't use anyway.
I feel as if alot of coupons are a waste of time, but I usually cut them out and save them anyway. I check the weekly specials and if an item that is on sale has a coupon and that makes it as cheap or hopefully cheaper than what I normally buy, I will buy that item.

I have noticed that since this thread began the prices have continued to rise!! I used to spend around $100 a week for my family of five but for the last few trips I have not walked out of the store without spending at least $120-130! That is just crazy!! It is getting very frustrating!!

krjwaj

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Its a challenge to find coupons in the circulars for items that we buy. I go directly to the company/brand's website and look there. They ofter have coupons or samples available. Stonyfield iand Kashi are 2 off the top of my head.
Also, there are sites like coupons.com that ask you to register but then you can pick and print which coupons you will use.
I do not shop at Wal-mart but we do go to Aldi's every few weeks to stock up and for produce.

http://www.aldifoods.com/us/html/service/store_locator_ENU_HTML.htm?WT.z_src=main

ETA: Here's FiberOne's website link which has some more coupons for groceries:
http://www.eatbetteramerica.com/Coupons/