Your Help Needed - Evalutating NEW Forum Software

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
UGH change....first it was Obamas change, now Nifty's change.....I have a coffee can FULL of CHANGE already :plbb I'm just kidding....guess I'll mosey on over and see what kind of hindrance I can be to you amidst everything else ;) :lol:

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I signed up and didn't have any problems except that the first avatar pic I tried to use was "not a valid image" and I don't know why. It didn't give me any clues as to what a valid image would be. I tried another pic and it accepted that with no problem. The post I did had no problems.

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
Great feedback. Any idea what type of file it was (jpg, bmp, gif, etc.) or how big it was?

Bummer it didn't give you better messaging, I'll look into it.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
OK, I'm confused. I don't know if I'm missing something or what. I clicked on the link, and it's a remodeling forum? I'm not really wanting to sign up for a remodeling forum cuz I ain't doing any remodeling. :idunno

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
You don't have to sign up if you don't want to. It's just the best way to test the software before committing to it.

An analogy: You need a new car. Instead of buying it first and then deciding if you like it, you drive your friends car around for a few days to get a feel for it. That's what we're doing here... driving around in our friend's forum to decide if we like it (the software) enough to buy it and use it here.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I didn't sign up. I have no desire to test drive and get my fingerprints everywhere, but I like the general layout and feel of the site. It doesn't seem a far cry off from what we have really, from a member standpoint. If it makes things better from a administrator/moderator standpoint, I say go for it. From what everyone else is saying, it seems like it may be a little glitchy here and there, but we'll get it figured out, we always do.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
I didn't sign up. I have no desire to test drive and get my fingerprints everywhere, but I like the general layout and feel of the site. It doesn't seem a far cry off from what we have really, from a member standpoint. If it makes things better from a administrator/moderator standpoint, I say go for it. From what everyone else is saying, it seems like it may be a little glitchy here and there, but we'll get it figured out, we always do.
Couldn't have said it better myself...my thoughts exactly.

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
So far all the moderators that have used it are MUCH happier with it and want us to convert ASAP since it makes their lives easier.

Member response is (as expected) mixed but mostly positive. From what we've seen, once peeps get over the "change stinks" part, they are happier with it.

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
Hey all!

So far the feedback on the other forum platform has been excellent! From an admin/moderator perspective I'm LOVING it!

My favorite features from a user perspective:

1) SUPER easy image uploading
2) Much easier text formatting (bold, hyperlinking text, etc.)
3) Auto-save of replies while typing. If I "fat finger" off the page I can come back and my post response has been saved!
4) The ability to subscribe to entire forum sections
5) Better control over what types of notifications and how often I receive them.
6) Threaded "conversations" (PM's) that make it way easier to follow a conversation between two (or more) people.
7) Ooodles of other cool features & stuff that makes using the site easier.

We've done multiple test conversions of the forum information from the site and from what we can tell, all the forums, topics, posts, users, passwords, PMs, subscriptions, etc. have all transferred over perfectly!

We're very confident that a move will be best for the users, moderators, admin, and community as a whole, and we expect to move forward on the conversion barring any huge roadblocks. We don't have a time schedule yet... it could be anywhere from a few weeks to a few months since we'll be doing a conversion of other sites first. We'll definitely keep you posted as we get a better idea of conversion timing.

If you have any questions or concerns, please post them here!