Your learning style?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
visual learner
depending on what subject, usually one time and I am a pro :lol:

I learn fast and retain alot. I have forgotten so much in general subjects. But keep learning new stuff all the time. Most times I opt out of new projects. I am tired :p
I watch or see someone doing some very interesting project and think, wow I am going to do that, then nope, too much work.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
I read first to get the basics. My brain absorbs info much better that way. I retain info that way too.
Watching videos of the process works pretty well. I play it through once, then rewatch it using the pause button between steps.

Spoken instructions don't work well for me. Things get scrambled between the ears & the brain. Then I forget half of it.

I'm also a leftie. If I need to learn from somebody that is right handed, if they just do the skill their normal way, but sit across from me. Then it visually matches up with how my hands need to do it.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
SSDreamin said:
Second, for me, is reading, along with trial and error experimentation. Dvds and videos irritate me. I need something handy, right where I'm working, to constantly refer back to, that doesn't depend on a battery I constantly forget to charge. I can skim the instructions in a book, find the section that is tripping me up, and go over it again right quick. With videos, I have to pause, back up, FF through. It bugs me.
I definitely like books for reference. Even if I learn the basics of doing something from a person or a video, I find that I like to have some kind of handbook or good written instructions around for reference. Especially with some sort of practical area - say, house or shop wiring - that I'm likely to have plenty of involvement with. Learning the basics and getting all the details can at times be different things.

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My first preference is hands on/mentor learning. I like to be able to ask questions and get the how/why and what-fors right then and there.

Second would be books. I'm just getting into the finer points of pruning and I really like that I can take my books, complete with how-to diagrams, along with me for quick reference if I start to second guess myself. I like to keep notes on things that stick out to me specifically, for quick reference later.

Lastly would be videos...I'm short on patience when I have to pause, rewind and watch it over again.

sparks

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
During the winter and when we were thinking about getting chickens, I read all the books aloud to my Hubby. I knew he wouldn`t read them but we learned alot. Got chicks that spring and love having them. Personally I would like folks to teach by showing me how to do something.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
It depends entirely on what it is. Somethings, I'd rather read the instructions, especially if it's something that I understand the principles behind. For something new, I prefer having someone show me. Other things, a video is fine.

Rarity

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Like someone said before, I work better if I just have time to myself to figure it out, and the written instructions. It's easier to be proud of myself for doing something, and not having to feel embarrassed for making mistakes in front of people. Video is a pain to use, especially if it's a youtube video, and the computer is, say, in the other room. Or the project is outside.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'm bumping this thread up so people find it again. Reason for doing so? A member named BACOG has requested that people post skills tutorials here at SufficientSelf... so learning styles (and communication/info modes) become important.

Theo

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I do it wrong first, whatever process it is, then do it right. That's why I'm not a brain surgeon. I definitely need to see the process, then practice many times. For instance, I was trying to learn the Kitchener stitch for closing the toe on a knitted sock. The instructions I was reading were gobbledygook; I could not make heads or tails of them. I went to Youtube, found a nice video that showed everything, practiced with my sock while watching the video, until I could do it perfectly. I went back to the book and looked at the instructions. Oh yeah, of course, it's plain as day now. Go figure.

doc_gonzo

Power Conserver
Reaction score
i prefer a mentor type learning experience especialy if its something i have never done before. i love books and have a huge collection of diy wood working books. i've been woodworking so long that i can flip through these and marry ideas from several books or projects to come up with the ideas i use for my projects. like dragon laurel i'm a leftie so that a pretty big hurdle to overcome in the "right handed world". my fil had a stroke a few yrs back that paralized his right side so i've been trying to help him adjust his projects to left handed set-ups. it's working out a whole lot better for him.

doc