Your Money Spent

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
great idea on the list on the fridge 2dream.

I usually slam open a cabinet, fast check, miss things I need, etc. etc. All last minute while walking out the door to shop..then I wing it..HA HA

List time for me too. good way for me to have some real control! thanks

AND you get that list working again for you! :)

honestly I would rather work less and have less ---I want more fun time and time in general...LOL

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
There is a website run by some woman who calls herself the "FLY" lady, who is all about being organized. She suggests having a notebook that includes a lists of EVERYTHING you regularly buy at the store and keeping it in a sheet protector, so you can write on it with an erasable pen. That way you can keep track of what you need to buy.

The problem I see with this sort of system is that I often find (even though I try to add items to my shopping list as I use them up) that when I run out of an item, it is always when I am in a hurry to cook and don't take the time to stop and write down what I need to buy. I'm not sure that a general overview list of my pantry would help me catch these items before I go to the store. :p

But I will say that stocking up on items I use regularly (and yes, I agree you shouldn't beat yourself up about going over budget when these things are on sale) means that I always have an added buffer time to realize I need to stock back up on that item. In the long run stocking up will save you money, because you won't find yourself caught without an item, necessitating an impromptu trip to the store.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I LOVE th Flylady!! Before, when I worked, I used to recommend her to all my clients. I like her style..... Baby steps...

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Me too. FlyLady has great advice for those of us who are organizationally challenged! My only word of warning is be careful of the emails.... if you sign up you will get bombarded!

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
My biggest expense right now is probably fresh fruit and veggies. I am buying what I can in cans or frozen but I hate canned veggies. I use them in soups and casseroles and stuff but I just don't like the taste to eat them straight.
I try to buy some things organic and that has really put a dent into the budget too but I hate the idea of putting chemicals and pesticides that are known carcinogens into my kids' bodies.
We eat a lot of deer meat and we are hoping to raise some meat chickens as soon as we move to a larger piece of land so that they can free range. We were too late for a garden this year because we thought we were going to be able to move sooner and didn't start one but as soon as we can I hope to plant enough that we can can or freeze our own.
I usually buy generic stuff because, even with coupons here, they seem to be cheaper. We also do Sam's club and buy some things in bulk when we can.

Lori