Your Money Spent

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Right now it is the electric bill. Although not running the ac helps now. If dh will get the sunshades made this winter that will help big time to cut it next summer. Now just need to get my kids to turn off lights & the tv if they are not using them. We have the tv, satelite reciever & dvd player on a power strip & we turn the strip off at night & if we are leaving fo the day. I read that if a light is on then it is still using power.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
great post angie
you are soooo right. I know I can cut this bill. Who am I kidding? Me only..LOL
time for control.

wow with your DH...but I bet the stress and strain in his new job is so much nicer. I guess he follows the "school year"---that is a great position to have! :)

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Groceries kill us, too. During the summer it's pretty great with a huge garden and all our other freebies from our chickens, cousin's dairy farm, etc. But, in the winter I get in this mindset of always wanting treats--nice nuts and dried fruit, good chocolate, lots of friends for meals. Really, food is our only luxury (a nice home, too, but we built most of it ourselves so not very expensive), so I really let er rip all winter long! Maybe it's time to spend less on myself and contribute that money saved to the food pantry. Our food pantries are really hurting around here from increased demand.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea HM
I am doing the same...getting those power strips to shut it off totally. phantom power doesn't use alot, but it all adds up. Will be interesting to see what your bills are in the new home. Always a guess til you live there a while and see what the lowest base can be!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
OK update to this thread

I went shopping. Ugh

Spent $75
$15 over my $60 budget.

What I spent about $25 on was buy one get one free. The store was loaded. Ugh....so I had too ya know.

Again this is stuff I use and can stock easily....but where do I draw the line....Hmmm...gotta think on that one!

veggie oil, buy one get one. I got 4 so 2 free. that should last me the year...LOL...I don't fry --rarely. So I know it was a good deal but it put me over my $60 I said I was going to stick too...Hmm...

but I did have a few "extras" in the cart and YES, I turned around and put them back! Yeah ME....cause that is a good start! :)

I am a work in progress and will get there. Time to cut more coupons. Off this bill I saved $49.88. I did well! :)

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
FarmerChick that is incredible self control.. Actually if you think about the oil. Next monht or even into the next year you will not be spending any money on oil. It might just avereage out.
I went to te grocery yesterday and the same thing happened, sausage was on sale. 10 for $10. It put me over the top. I picked up a couple other things not on the list, like the turkey they give you cheap if you spend over 25.00 bucks.
I need to take inventory today and make a menu list. Thanks fr the ecouragement. g

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Karen you did great! Don't worry about going a bit over now and then as long as you are going over on necessities rather than WANTS, I think that is the key. Going over on oil this week is going to save you down the line as you said you won't need to purchase for a while...if you have gone over because you bought nail polish or chocolate we would be having a different chat right now ;)

You have to give your self some wiggle room! Maybe set your budget at $45 for meals and $15 for stockpiling...then you won't feel guilty about the extra purchases. Also for meals and snacks I only buy what is on sale...if it is chicken then I get darn creative with chicken this week! Try to grab an extra package of meat or two if you can for the freezer and pretty soon you will not have to be that creative as you will have a freezer full of meat choices.

I don't know if you are normally a stockpiler, but I can tell you it is a great feeling when you use the last drop of oil and know that you do not have to put it on your weekly list because have two more bottles in the pantry!

ScottyG

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
That is AWESOME, Karen. Inspires me to try and do the same. My grocery bill... UGH. Where I used to live, there was an AMAZING grocery store that had everything ever made, and it was super cheap to boot. But I haven't found anything comparable, or even CLOSE, here in Michigan. So my bills have gone up maybe 50-100 bucks a month. I really really really really miss Woodman's. Best grocery store ever.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
...if you have gone over because you bought nail polish or chocolate we would be having a different chat right now

***HA HA Dace---so true
I bought "nothing not needed truly" or "will definitely" be used.

I used to have 10 perfect long colored fingernails. Now as a farmer, nope, why paint cause I chip the color fast and break...LOL---I do miss my perfect fingernails, but I guess I have to compromise! LOL

ground round hamburger was on sale. I picked up 3 (haven't done a cow in a bit, need to soon....I have 14 cattle to choose from--time to do it) but, I put one back. that saved me $10 off the bill. Ugh, to buy or not to buy. Then again to me I know sales will happen in the future so why spend money now when I know I can save later? But can I save as good.......kinda like fighting the TIDE of the ocean. You can't.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
TanksHill
we are getting ready to process a whole hog for us. So hams are OK.

no turkeys here..LOL..but yes when I see that lower price I am sure to jump on a few.

spend now to save later? but at what point am I over spending --??--I dont' know..LOL

Latest posts