Your Personal Location for Food

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I like hearing people KNOW THEIR state and what is available.

Dacs, you got me curious....freshwater shrimp----do you mean crawfish? I wouldn't think that would be a nickname for them? Don't think me strange but I don't know freshwater shrimp?

just interested?

for me, I have googled some sites but the best so far is my NC Dept. of Agriculture. It is packed full of info...and while I go thru that site like crazy....there were spots I didn't click on and now am seeing more and more info on "just the state" and what is out there that is not common. I like new info any chance I can get.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
well I'll be jiggered. I just didn't know that...LOL...and I love shrimp.

So they are producers. These are not wild caught I take it. I am surprised those are not local in your stores if production is so big in your area?

See, produce it and don't sell it in the area...what is up with that?

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I live in cranberry country, the town where Ocean Spray was founded (Hanson, MA). Massachusetts has many niche farms, when we can farm - we're frozen solid for over five months a year! However, there are apple orchards, peaches, blueberries, strawberries, all the pick your own places - plus, of course, locally gathered seafood of all kinds, lobster, various fish.....all of these have seasons, however, they aren't available year round. So root cellars, freezers, etc. are all necessary to keep the seasonal bounty flowing throughout the year.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
THAT IS KEY Reinbeau what you just posted.

Find the local seasonal fresh deals AND CAN OR FREEZE OR DEHYDRATE, etc. etc.

When the bounty is in, one must reap the rewards.

Why buy strawberries shipped from who knows where in the dead of winter at $3.99 a pint.....IF YOUR state produces them, in peak season are reasonable priced and fresh? And freeze for later use.

That is keeping the money in your community and you are getting fresh local foods and saving money to boot! Good deal! :)

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
FC, keep checking to see what your state Ag has available. I have found that resource is definitely a great place for information.

Ohio has a site and a magazine called OurOhio.org (Our Ohio - Grow It - Know It - Live It) put out by the Ohio Farm Bureau which has a great deal of information about foods, neighborhoods, recipes in the different regions of Ohio.

http://ourohio.org/

Dac, some of the local wineries here also sell concord table grapes. One that I know of offers pick your own every autumn.... :drool

edited for clarity

inchworm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hmmm -- I live in MD, best known for blue crabs. However, at $100 a bushel, I won't be stocking up anytime soon (unfortunately). Oddly enough, my little town is known for it's cantaloupes. During the summer, we feast on corn, cantaloupe, and tomatoes.

Inchy

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
inchworm said:
Hmmm -- I live in MD, best known for blue crabs. However, at $100 a bushel, I won't be stocking up anytime soon (unfortunately). Oddly enough, my little town is known for it's cantaloupes. During the summer, we feast on corn, cantaloupe, and tomatoes. Inchy
Sounds yummy!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Noone grows anything locally that can be found in a market here. There is one little man who sets up a veggie/fruit stand at a corner gas station~who brings all his produce from over in VA or FL to sell here! :p

I will be the only truly local producer for veggies and fruits in my county when I get set up, which may or may not be a selling point with the type of target market I have here. I will be using it in my signage, though.

Most folks have their own source of veggies and fruits and share with their own families, but they do not market them.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
During the summer, we feast on corn, cantaloupe, and tomatoes.

Inchy---I could live on those! :)

hey, don't you go crabbing....when I lived in New Jersey we would go to the Jersey shore and crab off the bridges. Wow we brought home bushels of crabs and had the best backyard crab bakes in the land!

I loved crabbing and so easy. We would tie a chicken neck to a string and just haul them up...trick was not letting them drop off when they left the water......but Dad used a little trap thing that worked great.

WOW....fresh crab is amazing!!!!!

fun day out and free delish food...what a day!!!