Your thought please.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
And for all the Christians here.....why would the term, "a land flowing with milk and honey" be used if milk were a bad thing? Why not say fruit and honey? Grain and honey?
That's my belief and I'm sticking with it.

Also, I just saw this yesterday about cows and genes and amino acids they produce - a very interesting blog review about a book http://gnowfglins.com/2010/01/11/rf...ed&utm_campaign=Feed:+gnowfglins+(gnowfglins)
I haven't had time to do any other reading about this, but she's (Wardeh, the blogger) a pretty good judge of food stuff.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've learned not to trust experts. I have to listen for what jives with what I really know from personal experience & that of people I trust.

I think a lot of people shouldn't drink milk after the weaning age. Which, if you know your history & third world countries, was/is about 3 years old.
However, those people who shouldn't drink it tend to have responses to milk, even raw milk in plain form. Many of those who have negative responses can eat butters, cheeses or yogurts made from raw milk with no problem.
If you can't stomach raw milk for whatever reason, a true allergy, distaste, etc. then don't consume it. Simple enough to me.

I do not have responses to milk or milk products, therefore I will continue eating ice cream, drinking milk, putting it in my coffee or oatmeal. And I will continue searching for a raw milk supplier until I have a cow or other milk producer of my own.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I do not have responses to milk or milk products, therefore I will continue eating ice cream, drinking milk, putting it in my coffee or oatmeal. And I will continue searching for a raw milk supplier until I have a cow or other milk producer of my own.
The ability to digest dairy apparently came about around 10,000 years ago along with agriculture. It was a big advantage if you could digest dairy since it gave you additional sources of much needy fatty acids and proteins. If you are of Northern European descent, the odds of you being able to handle dairy is pretty high.

"In the US and many other countries, we've certainly "got milk," but not everyone can enjoy it. For around 10% of Americans, 10% of Africa's Tutsi tribe, 50% of Spanish and French people, and 99% of Chinese, a tall cold glass of milk means an upset stomach and other unpleasant digestive side effects."
http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evolibrary/news/070401_lactose

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Yes, but.....that article was published in '07, and didn't differentiate between raw and pasteurized milk. Most people who cannot tolerate commercial milk can tolerate raw. Most, not all. One sip of storebought milk will make me terribly sick for about two days, yet you all know I drink it by the pint, raw.

However, I still don't think it should be made available at Stop 'n' Shop unpasteurized.....that is a recipe for disaster. No modern dairy could safely produce raw milk, IMO, with the way things are done.

I visited a dairy that sold raw milk a few years ago when I was reaching the point in my research that I was ready to try a sip and see what happened. I looked around, got back in my car, and drove away. Then I bought a pregnant goat. I was just not impressed with the cleanliness of the farm, and I saw no pastures, just confined cows. This was in a wealthy part of CT.

ETA: No modern gigantic commercial dairy could safely produce raw milk, that is.

Latest posts