Yurts

mlynd

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm looking into building a yurt does anyone live in one or has build one any info would be great

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have never built one. I stayed in one once. I uses to dream of living in a Yurt home.

Where are you planning to build? I know Colorado Yurts now has yurts with snow load calcs and extra insulating covers.

Good luck.

gina

mlynd

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
we currently live in Southren Indiana and we think we are going to do this in 8 yrs when the last kid moves out :celebrate so I have time but I want to get as much info as I can

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
8 years :ep Wow, I thought I like to plan ahead!!! I actually have/ had my whole Yurt planned out. It would look like Mickey Mouses head. A 30 ft yurt for family/ kitchen/ main bathroom area. Then a central hall with two "ears" on either end for bedrooms. I have actually drawn the floor plan with furniture placement. :p This was before my 3rd child though. I may need to add another 12ft bedroom on there. :lol:

I think I would build a platform so I could run all main lines under the deck but still have them accessible.

We stayed in a yurt outside of Yosemite. It was such a comfortable place. I thin it was a 24 ft diameter and had a ton of space.

I know in Colorado the have a festival in the spring. Somewhere up north, but Colorado Yurts does demonstrations and has yurts lectures. Maybe you could attend one in the next 8 years.

gina