Zenbirder - living alongside nature

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
wow 600 plates. that is a task!

I have the same problem with fundraisers. you start off gung-ho, get into it and realize it can snowball out of control...LOL...but you will do fine and yes, when over you can relax again.

that is alot of enchiladas big time! You won't be wanting to eat those for at least a month after..LOL

good luck! :)

Zenbirder

Frugal Vegetarian Farmer
Reaction score
Well we did it, about 575 enchilada meals served yesterday, and virtually all on time or early. I tend to be a chief rather than an indian, so I was cracking the whip getting everyone cooking. We had the tortillas started frying by 6:30 in the morning! One of my biggest fears was correct, the old building (Knights of Columbus is the one we rented) struggled with the electric load of all the cookers and fry pots. I had to reset breakers and move stations to distribute the load.

I was so exhausted last night. Brought home some leftovers for dinner. I also managed to bring home 1/2 gallon of homemade red chili sauce, so I will divide it out and freeze it. DH was happy with a few cookies I brought home. We got one of the home ec teachers to have all her kids make all the cookies we needed!

We have a bundle of errands and shopping in town this morning. Then I am planning to park here at home until Monday. I love going no farther than the mailbox for days in a row :D

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Sounds like you had a day! Glad all went well.

I can't believe you had all those hummers. :ep
I got excited when we had 6 one morning. :lol:

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Sounds like you had a day! Glad all went well.

I can't believe you had all those hummers. :ep
I got excited when we had 6 one morning. :lol:

Zenbirder

Frugal Vegetarian Farmer
Reaction score
Well DH was a bit miffed at me. While I had been gone making the enchiladas he (drum roll):
Mopped and Waxed the kitchen and dining room, and cleaned both bathrooms!

The problem was that I was so tired I didn't notice :he

He finally had to point it out to me and boy did I feel unobservant. So I gave him LOTS of praise :love and I think he is over the miff now.

Yesterday's shopping trip should hold us a while. The cashier actually noticed that we had more pet food in the basket than people food. I told her that I cook from scratch with whole bulk ingredients plus grow and can and freeze. She said she does also! She was so funny, at the end she gave me a wink and said we would be the ones to be OK when times got bad. She also expressed a lot of concern that so many of the women she works with say they can cook - and by that they mean they know how to use a microwave.

DH and I had to do a bit of attention yesterday to the two pineapple plants we are babying. We started them from the tops of pineapples that we ate over 4 years ago. They have to be house plants because even the greenhouse gets too cold at night. But they have grown huge. In June I really wanted to try to get them to grow fruit. I read that they needed ethylene gas. So I put some overripe bananas down between the fronds, and in about 4 days both plants started to form flowering pineapple fruits! Who would have know that pineapples flower purple?

Home145.jpg

Now the fruit is getting so large that we needed to prop them up or their own weight was going to tip them over. I hope we did a good enough job. When a project like this takes so many years... This is one of the ways I keep myself entertained. I guess I have a long attention span :lol:

916071.jpg

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
O my gosh! You're really growing a pineapple. That is so cool. They take so long that I probably would have chucked it by now. How much longer do you think it will take?

You didn't notice what you DH had done? I would have thought I was at the wrong house. :gig

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Those pineapples are great. Gives me hope for mine. I was just about to chunk it out. Now I will hang on and keep working with it. Great tip on the bananna. Hope I can remember that in another year.

Congrats on getting everything done. Sounds like you had quite a job.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
great pics again!

My DH gets mad when I don't notice either. Hey, he doesn't notice when I do it all the time either..HA HA

ScottyG

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Zenbirder said:
Well DH was a bit miffed at me. While I had been gone making the enchiladas he (drum roll):
Mopped and Waxed the kitchen and dining room, and cleaned both bathrooms!

The problem was that I was so tired I didn't notice :he

He finally had to point it out to me and boy did I feel unobservant. So I gave him LOTS of praise :love and I think he is over the miff now.
He should just do what I do... don't even bother being miffed, and just right off the bat, be all, "hey! I cleaned things!" You know, it feels ridiculous doing it, but I get proud in a "I'm a filthy BOY, but look I cleaned stuff!" kind of way. And there's nothing wrong with tooting your own horn a little, especially if you recognize that you didn't actually do anything so amazing, but it still feels good to do it.

Anyway, just a thought. I'm a stereotypical guy that way... I never notice dirt until WAY after my wife does. So when I clean something, it's like, "hey! look at me! I cleaned even though I'm sometimes a filthbag!" And she laughs at me. And everything is good. :love