Zombie raccoons

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The political correctness of this article kills me "euthanized" & "report raccoons behaving unusually to their local police station"

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2018...ents-in-broad-daylight-with-odd-behavior.html

Wow if i had to wait for the police to show up to "euthanize" a strange behaving wild animal for me - I might as well just wait for the cows to come home. Isn't this what guns are for? or am I wrong?

Beside while in the tree stand this fall I seen a raccoon walking on it hind legs carrying something in it's front paws that it was eating. One of the more cooler things I seen while in the woods.

This does bring up an interesting topic though... "Dealing with wild animals on the homestead sick or healthy..."

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I find it "interesting" to read comments on articles like these.:lol:

Me too always good for a laugh

"“You should avoid any raccoon that is active during daylight hours, has lost its fear of humans or appears uncoordinated, confused or listless.”" - "but feel free to pet any other raccoons."

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Not too far from me...:rolleyes:

This type of wild animal behavior is most likely caused by distemper or rabbies. Since your not far from where this is reported and I'm not telling you how to live your life or anything but it would be wise to ensure your pets are current on there vaccinations. Both distemper and rabbies are bad news. The old saying holds true - its better to be safe than sorry.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Suffering from a virus....... ya think? Raccoons carry all sorts of nasty parasites. My sister thinks it’s cute for the raccoons to get on her patio table and eat the cat food. Yuck. Want some roundworms with your hamburger?

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
This type of wild animal behavior is most likely caused by distemper or rabbies. Since your not far from where this is reported and I'm not telling you how to live your life or anything but it would be wise to ensure your pets are current on there vaccinations. Both distemper and rabbies are bad news. The old saying holds true - its better to be safe than sorry.
Agree with you completely. Current life situation leaves me with no animals. When I did/will have them, all shots will be current all the time.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That reminds me, I ought to look into rabies shots for the goats. Has to be done by a vet, boo.