Zone Heating

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I read a story in Countryside about a lady who lived in a trailer and was trying to find ways to make it warmer. She took the paneling off the wall, one section at a time, stapled brown shipping paper to the studs and filled the space with packing peanuts. She would do a section each time she could afford it. She said it really increased the warmth in her old trailer...I thought it was a brilliant solution. I think trailers are the coldest housing I've ever lived in!

In the end, wood heat is the most cost effective and the warmest I've ever experienced, so if your older home has a flue, placing even a cheap ol' wood stove is better than trying to heat a barn with electric or propane.

Anyone ever had sawdust blown in for added insulation? The house I just moved from had this in the walls and ceilings and it was wonderful! The old house stayed warm in the winter and cool in the summer.

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We ended up buying several electronic thermometers..so we could monitor the rooms. We have 1 bath,that we can't use, and have to keep an eye on the temps to make sure pipes don't freeze. This place is a mess. With all the re-muddled additions, we have 3125 sq ft....but not all of it usable/livable. It has no layout, no traffic flow pattern. It is full of holes for mice and snakes. NO way we could ever find them,let alone fill them all. Well, unless we got some of that spray on foam insulation, and foamed every inch of the underside of the house. I wish. That stuff is way too expensive.
As it is, we use curtains and doors to keep heat in...cold out. Use zone heating. And have installed 2 heat pump window units to try to heat the place. They are a/c too.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Heat pump window units? with the AC? I didn't know they had that!

I obviously knew of the AC for window units, but had no idea they did a heat pump also. interesting.

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
Heat pump window units? with the AC? I didn't know they had that!

I obviously knew of the AC for window units, but had no idea they did a heat pump also. interesting.
I should find the info for you eh? I didn't know they existed either, but DH did. He looked online all last winter, and ordered them in the springtime. They seem to be holing up and doing ok, except for the fact that the company sent two of the 3 with metric and not Farenheit settings. Also, if you switch the setting....too many times, all at once, they get confused. So, we have learned to turn them off for a while, then turn back on.

Here is the website http://www.soleusair.com

We have the model KC-35HA 12000/11000 BTU room a/c with heat pump.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thanks for that link.

I just had no idea the AC unit was combined with heat also.

You ordered last spring? Have you used the heat settings yet? And kinda what size room they will heat? Just wondering about your experience on the heating element.

My MIL needs a unit just like this...we were chatting about her singlewides she rents out and has a heat pump problem at one. It is the smallest trailer and I am wondering if this might fit the bill for her? Hmmm...I will call her to tell her about this option.

Can you give me an idea about price per unit? The size you bought?

thanks

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
Thanks for that link.

I just had no idea the AC unit was combined with heat also.

You ordered last spring? Have you used the heat settings yet? And kinda what size room they will heat? Just wondering about your experience on the heating element.

My MIL needs a unit just like this...we were chatting about her singlewides she rents out and has a heat pump problem at one. It is the smallest trailer and I am wondering if this might fit the bill for her? Hmmm...I will call her to tell her about this option.

Can you give me an idea about price per unit? The size you bought?

thanks
I don't know right off hand..as DH bought it through his account. I am thinking like 400$-$500.00 each...and they had freight charges too. I don't think UPS delivers them.
Yes, we have used heat and a/c now. The a/c works great, the heat ...like I said...gets confused if too many changes to the setting to soon. Not sure if it would be a good option for a rental unit though.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
So the heating is basically set on X (like 68 deg.) and leave it alone. And at least your home is warmer than the outside. :p

Did you find a big increase in this unit for elec. bill or was it truly a 'energy star' situation where using it does not cost an arm and a leg.

Price is reasonable for zone heating I think, plus the bene. of AC in that hotter climate.

The rental they pay the elec. charge so wondering if the bill would climb climb and climb?

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
So the heating is basically set on X (like 68 deg.) and leave it alone. And at least your home is warmer than the outside. :p

Did you find a big increase in this unit for elec. bill or was it truly a 'energy star' situation where using it does not cost an arm and a leg.

Price is reasonable for zone heating I think, plus the bene. of AC in that hotter climate.

The rental they pay the elec. charge so wondering if the bill would climb climb and climb?
The electric isn't changing much..as we still have very little insulation. I was thinking of the unit being in a rental unit...and if the renters would maintain it properly...not abuse it or break it.
As far as the settings.....we find a temp, and try to keep it there. If it gets too warm, we just shut it off. If it is too cool, just bump it up one degree.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
thanks Moxie
that is good info for me! :)

true on renters. If you don't own it, most of the renters don't care how they maintain it!!!!! I so agree on that one.

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
thanks Moxie
that is good info for me! :)

true on renters. If you don't own it, most of the renters don't care how they maintain it!!!!! I so agree on that one.
It was just an observation. I don't know what the cost for a repair might be. The website, never answered an email I sent. The 2 units were are using now work fine..and I turn them off if they are not needed. We are trying to cut down power usage anyways. We want to find good cheap insulation, but that is a challenge. So much is dependent on the economy, and lack of employment. We are cutting back as much as possible, on anything we can.

Anyway, with a rental unit, one of those through the wall hotel a/c units might be sturdier. I have seen them for sale also.

Latest posts