Zucchini Boats

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
when you get those huge zucchini that look like a long watermelon, make Zucchini Boats!

Slice the zucchini length wise and scoop the seeds out.

IMG_1689.JPG

Next take a spoon and scoop out the zucchini, leaving a shell.

IMG_1691.JPG

Chop a large onion and the zucchini, then sauté in a deep skillet until it is translucent. Remove from skillet and drain. Brown a pound of ground meat, I used pork. Drain and combine with the zucchini. Mix in spaghetti sauce, just enough to hold it together. Fill the zucchini shells and bake on a cookie sheet at 375* for 30 minutes. Top with grated cheese and bake another 15 minutes.
IMG_1694.JPG

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yep, getting pounded with zucchini! Kept the grands over the weekend, plus a friend of the 9 year old Friday night, then babysat the neighbor's 3 year old Saturday night, so we did nothing but kids all weekend! The sneaky zucchini took advantage of my non-attention and took off growing! This recipe is something I made up years ago and it is still a great way to use up humongous zucchini! Since it makes 2, we took one to our neighbors. He just called and said for the first time, she ate more than he did! And she told him that if he wanted seconds, he'd better hurry! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

If you don't want to fool with scooping out the shell, just quarter slice long ways, scoop out the seeds, peel and cut in chunks. Proceed with rest of the recipe, and put in a baking dish. But I think the "boats" are more fun.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My MIL used to make something like those... but when you have 4-foot long zucchini, you have to cut them into logs that will fit in your oven! Frankly, I don't care much for squishes when they get that big- the skin gets too hard

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My mom makes zucchini relish out of the huge ones. Sooooo good!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I also grate them, measure into 2 cup packages and toss in the freezer for winter time zucchini bread. And I toss the grated zucchini into soup, stew and chili!

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
It does look good. I will have to try it whenever I get a chance to plant the garden and get it to produce. If I end up with as much Zucchini as I did last year and they are as big as they were last year my family members would be able to each have a full one to themselves. I wonder if you could grill them seeing how grilling season for me is about to begin.