Zucchini Jam

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
BeccaOH said:
Mine came from my cousin. I've wondered about changing the jello to strawberry or other favor to see what that does to flavor. It is a great and easy recipe, though.
My sister says she uses whatever flavor jello she has in the house. The strawberry, raspberry, and cherry are kid-tested-and-approved at her home. ;)

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I tried it with SF orange jello as that was the only thing that I had in the house. I did put some pineapple in it since I had 1/2 a can of that in the frig.

The verdict - tastes like SF orange jello. :lol: I don't know why I was expecting more of an orange marmalade. This is really orange colored! I'll look for apricot jello next trip into town.

It's actually not bad smeared on some toast. Since I started making my own jam/jellly, I use it all the time. Well, except for the Mountain Dew jelly. It's pretty hard to get stuff too sweet for me, but man, that sure was. My grandson said it was awesome - his mother said she wanted to thump me on the head. :D

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I suspect that the zucchini is just filler. Making stuff just to use up zucchini is probably not a good idea, especially when the recipe involves lots of sugar or oil. IMHO, it's better to plant a more valuable crop.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
k15n1 said:
I suspect that the zucchini is just filler. Making stuff just to use up zucchini is probably not a good idea, especially when the recipe involves lots of sugar or oil. IMHO, it's better to plant a more valuable crop.
Grilled zucchini is good, and I like it fried, in soups, veggie lasagna, etc. But I sure wouldn't plant a garden full of it.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I have ducks. Zucchini is a good thing to feed them in winter when all the plants are dead. Zucchini is also a good thing to plant when you can't get other things to grow in a difficult climate....like Colorado. I do consider it a valuable crop. Considering how much you get for how little space you use, it is amazing.

So anyone has any extra, drop it on my porch :)

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I passed the two recipes here along to a cousin of mine who has a stand at her local farmers market. She had a load of zucs she was trying to get rid of and I suggested making jam and selling them instead. She made this one today:

Zucchini Jam

6 cups peeled, seeded and shredded zucchini
6 cups white sugar
1 (15.25 oz.) can crushed pineapple, drained
1/2 cup lemon juice
1 (6 oz) package of strawberry Jello (or orange, apricot, whatever flavor you like)

Combine zucchini, sugar, pineapple and lemon juice in a large pot over medium heat. Boil mixture until the zucchini is clear. Remove from heat, add Jello and stir until completely dissolved. Ladle into hot, sterilized jars leaving head space. Seal and process in a water bath canner for 5 minutes or the amount of time for your altitude.

This is what she had to say about it:

"Well, I finished the first batch and they actually taste pretty good. It's a different texture, but not bad. I did strawberry this time, but I think that I'm gonna do pineapple next time. The flavor of the jam without the extra jello is really nice. I figure I'll just enhance it with pineapple on the next batch and see how it goes. Thanks again for the recipe."

So, I'm passing along her thanks to you all!

Hopefully, she'll make a bit of money.

Edited for spelling (as usual)

dipence71

Got the t-shirt
Reaction score
I use it and whatever other fruit I have on hand that we like.
I just use enough of the fruit and zucchini to = what sure jell recipe calls for depending on weather it is regular or sugar free.

Always a HUGE hit and it is verrrryyyyy good!!!

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
I have ducks. Zucchini is a good thing to feed them in winter when all the plants are dead. Zucchini is also a good thing to plant when you can't get other things to grow in a difficult climate....like Colorado. I do consider it a valuable crop. Considering how much you get for how little space you use, it is amazing.

So anyone has any extra, drop it on my porch :)
The gardening books I've read all recommend not growing squashes if your space is limited.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Zucchini plants are a bush style plant, they don't spread.

Just to throw a monkey wrench in to things, I read quite a few forum posts that say NEVER water bath can anything that contains jello. since it is animal derived protein, there is a botulism risk. Any thoughts?

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I know we're loaded down with summer squash and zukes already. We sent two to Becca's mom, and she made us zucchini bread YUM.

We fried zukes for dinner last night and had summer squash steamed with a little water, cooked down in real butter. Dash of salt. Again, yum!

Becca makes killer zuc brownies. :drool

And I'm the gal who growing up wouldn't touch squash or zukes! I've found I like things now that I didn't as a kid!

I've also had a hankering for Fried Okra (grew up hating it!) Haven't tried it as an adult, and never planted any, so I guess I'll be looking for some!