Zucchini Jam

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I should have enough zucchini in a few days to try this. It had a lot of great reviews - some said to cut back on the sugar.

Zucchini Jam

6 cups peeled, seeded and shredded zucchini
6 cups white sugar
1 (15.25 oz.) can crushed pineapple, drained
1/2 cup lemon juice
1 (6 oz) package of strawberry Jello (or orange, apricot, whatever flavor you like)

Combine zucchini, sugar, pineapple and lemon juice in a large pot over medium heat. Boil mixture until the zucchini is clear. Remove from heat, add Jello and stir until completely dissolved. Ladle into hot, sterilized jars leaving head space. Seal and process in a water bath canner for 5 minutes or the amount of time for your altitude.

Fruit is really expensive here. I like the idea of making something different with zucchini.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I saw a couple of recipes calling for adding zucchini and pineapple. Apparently the zucchini really takes on the flavor of the pineapple and you can't even tell there is zucchini in it. The recipes had 4 and 5 star ratings. I think it would be a great way to extend fruit and use up all that extra squash people seem to get stuck with.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I just went through my freezer yesterday to see what was left, and I have many bags of shredded zuke. My intention when freezing it was muffins, but I really didn't bake that many muffins this pst year. and zuke season is coming up. I wonder if you could also combine it with other fruit. hmmm.....

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
No, I haven't tried it yet. I have just two small zucchini in the frig, so I'm waiting 'til I have some more. Like Wifezilla said, it takes on the fruit taste and had gobs of good ratings. I was going to make a small batch of orange marmalade, but decided to do this instead, using orange jello. Then the texture shouldn't matter. Maybe orange juice concentrate and unflavored gelatin? Hmmmmm.............Since it doesn't have pectin in the recipe, why couldn't we use some fruit in it? Might have to add some more gelatin so it sets up. Might be kind of fun to play around with while using up the bumper crop of zucchini.

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have a similar recipe without the pineapple (can't find at the moment) that I've made a couple times with apricot jello. Tastes like a very mild marmalade and I really like it.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
BeccaOH said:
I have a similar recipe without the pineapple (can't find at the moment) that I've made a couple times with apricot jello. Tastes like a very mild marmalade and I really like it.
My sister has the same recipe as you, I think, Becca, as her recipe does not call for pineapple either. She has been making for over 20 years and it is a big hit with friends and family.

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Found the recipe on other computer.

Zucchini Jam
3 c zucchini, grated
1/2 c lemon juice
3 c sugar
1 small box apricot gelatin
Peel and remove seeds from the zucchini before grating. Boil grated zucchini, lemon juice, and sugar together for 30 minutes. Add gelatin and remove from heat. Don't let it boil again. Pour into jars and seal.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
BeccaOH said:
Found the recipe on other computer.

Zucchini Jam
3 c zucchini, grated
1/2 c lemon juice
3 c sugar
1 small box apricot gelatin
Peel and remove seeds from the zucchini before grating. Boil grated zucchini, lemon juice, and sugar together for 30 minutes. Add gelatin and remove from heat. Don't let it boil again. Pour into jars and seal.
:lol: My sister emailed me her recipe yesterday. I was getting ready to post and I see it *is* identical to yours, Becca. :D

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Mine came from my cousin. I've wondered about changing the jello to strawberry or other favor to see what that does to flavor. It is a great and easy recipe, though.