$0 Ideas (Create a SS Tip Sheet/Pamphlet)

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Having finally weaned my SO off of paper towels- switch to cloth towels/sponges to wipe up spills! It really isn't so bad. :D Composting and gardening is just about $0- a few dollars for seeds. Planning and thinking through how much you want to be SS is a huge part of getting there- a link to this website would be a great start and inspiration for people interested.

Under $25- laundry soap is easiest. Making your own yogurt is easy and delicious.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hmm. $0 ones can be tough, but I like the idea that you brought up. Using $0 ideas to save money first, then use the saved money to put into new money saving projects. I never thought to directly connect the two, though I definately try to incorporate money saving ideas. I might make a money saving jar and use that to make new projects from now on. Neat! It may be hard though, since I never really keep track of what I'm spending money on. :/

I guess I have to second whoever said to make a budget! Wonderful idea to help save money and know where everything is going, and it doesn't cost money to make one. :)

The YardFarmers

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Great start with all these thoughtful answers! Thanks. I'll start the list and will keep adding to it.

I especially love that the tips are hitting on a lot of the aspects of SS (debt, reducing expenses, cooking). Gives a lot of places for a newby to start. You know how impatient we can all be (um, speaking for myself of course)

Yes, my thought was to start with $0 or ideas that will immediately save money, such as the suggested baking your own bread and making your own yogurt- much cheaper (and BETTER!) than buying it and then you get to piggy bank the savings to move on to the next projects.

I'll include this link and probably some others too.

Hoping to hear more! I'll post tomorrow to ask for low cost ideas/projects.

YardFarmer Julie

tamlynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
$0: Use your local library! Not only can you borrow books and movies for free, but also magazines, music, newspapers, and (limited) internet access. Great way to learn about all that SS stuff for free. You can even request that your local library buy certain books/magazines that you are interested in though this may take a long time or not be feasible for their budget.

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
$0-$25 - If you are somewhat able to build things, salvage pallets to build your own chicken coop, patio furniture, raised beds, etc...

I got 60 pallets delivered to my house for $50, but you can pick them up yourself for nothing. Canadian pallets are made from hardwood, American pallets are softwood. Some of my Canadian ones are made of mahogany, and if you sand them down you've got some beautiful pieces of wood to build with. Most of my pallets are American ones, but I have enough to build a chicken coop, a turkey house, two dog houses, a garbage bin for the end of the driveway and some raised beds... all for $50 and some hours spent prying apart the pallets. (at this point I'm still pulling apart pallets... we burn any pieces that I split :) )

tamlynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Your pallets are made of hardwood?! Wow!

Other $0 things: saving seeds from veggies you grow and even some store-bought veggies like winter squashes.

Trade/get plant cuttings from friends and neighbors.

Freecycle.com -lots of things for free in your area.

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks for the link, BBH!
I want to try your method but I refuse to participate in anything known as the "no-poo method", so I shall have to pretend it is called something else :lol: