$0 Ideas (Create a SS Tip Sheet/Pamphlet)

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh, I've got one! Teach a buddy to cut your hair!
My former roomate and I saved literally hundreds of dollars over the couple years we lived together.
I don't need a cut right now, but when I do, Josh has said he is willing to learn.
I imagine this only works for simple, straight styles for the most part.

country freedom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Occamstazer said:
Oh, I've got one! Teach a buddy to cut your hair!
My former roomate and I saved literally hundreds of dollars over the couple years we lived together.
I don't need a cut right now, but when I do, Josh has said he is willing to learn.
I imagine this only works for simple, straight styles for the most part.
When I was in my teens, my youngest sister learned by watching the people who cut our hair at the salon. She wanted to try on us, so we let her cut our hair ( I have 3 younger sisters), she did such a fantastic job, that our Daddy didn't have to pay for our haircuts.

We were all teens, with long hairstyles - Feathered, layered, or long with long bangs on top.

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
This is a great thread with wonderful ideas. Besides the obvious gardening & canning.......

1.) If you don't have a dehydrator, use your oven set at lowest temp. (mine is 170) and leave the door ajar. Unless you have a convection oven then door closed-this I thought was the best when we had one.

2.) If your house isn't too big, do alot of baking & open the door to the water heater during showers so the heat will help warm the rooms. This isn't complete but atleast can take the nip out of the cold. The hot water tank idea probably works best in small apartments.

3.) Make your own garlic powder-either slice or press the cloves, dry in the oven till crisp then run thru blender till powdered.

4.) Save dry or stale bread and use these for french toast, grill cheese sandwiches, cube and dry for stuffing or make bread crumbs.

5.) Stale soda crackers-make cracker crumbs.

6.) Turn off oven (& sometimes pan) 5 min beforehand and let it cook in existing heat. I also open the oven door to warm up the room.

7.) Look before you buy or throw away. Is there anyway you can do this yourself or can it be used for something else? Case in point here is my garden is full of reusables. I have 3 crib springs rigged together for supporting cucumbers, tires & half oil barrels for tater hills, collapsable clothes rack also for cukes to climb on, front door frame used as raised strawberry bed, empty milk jugs & soda bottles for mini greenhouses (bottoms cut off and pressed into dirt around seedlings), pallets enclose compost on 3 sides, etc Looks like a junk yard to the untrained eye, but I know it all works.

8.) For the chickens-dig em worms for extra protein, give back egg shells for calcium-I haven't bought oyster shell but once in the beginning.

That's all I can think of for now. Keep it up and I think I want a copy of that pamphlet.

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've got another one!
I've been drooling over these for months, but they're so expensive!
Could someone more clever than myself build a similar set up out of stuff from the garage?
Turn kitchen trash and lawn clippings into chicken feed=win!
http://thebiopod.com/

There was an article on these in Backyard Poultry awhile back...

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Under $25--buy a book or look online for how to do minor or major repairs on your car or home, instead of paying someone else to do it.

Stay away form convenience foods or prepackaged item, and make them youself--better for you and cheaper.