AARP anyone?

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
I am completely happy with AARP. :love
DH has his medigap policy(AARP Healthcare Options)through them and it has been a financial lifesaver!!!!!!
We had problems with other insurance providers, BIG TIME! Completely frustrated, I called the Cleveland Clinic directly and asked what seemed to be the best way to go from their perspective, what insurance provider plays less games, etc. They said those with AARP Medigap have fewer issues, that the Clinic has never had collection problems from those patients' Insurance Provider, contrasted to those with other gap coverage. Good enough for me!

It has been 4 years, we never worry about paying anything.
Political perspective be damned: we have exceptionally well run, complete medical coverage, which at the end of the day is what really counts!! No more stinkin' headaches- been there done that. It's about the coverage for the money, and money saved. In our case, about $200 per month covers $4000 or much more ea mo that would have been out of pocket. It is beyond me why there is confusion or obstinacy. :rolleyes:

Of course if you are simply asking about the AARP gee ya turned 50 card, you must have it to get the Medigap Insurance.

I also used it to get great 50% off deal on eyeglasses and eye exam. Better price than all the ads I checked.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Currently AARPS's medigap insurance is through United Health Care. Anyone can purchase I think. You don't have to be an AARP member, it is just the program that they promote. I don't know if they get a kick back for it but United Health Care is not owned or controlled by AARP. We had united health care insurance for many years though my husband's company, and then the company I worked for.

ARRP has done much to promote senior citizen rights, discrimination issues, etc. They promote medicare and look out for the economic issues of seniors, especially around health care. Like, you've paid into medicare your whole life, the are going to make dam sure medicare pays you when you need it.

Now you may not agree with socialized medicine, and medicare certainly is socialized medicine, but you will find dam few republicans who want to give it up cause when the 70 year old republican granny falls and breaks a leg or has a stoke, like democrates, most republicans can not afford her care short of selling the homestead, if they are fortunate enough to have one at that!
Sell the homestead to care for granny and suddenly you have nothing to pass on to the children, which is what granny really wants and has been dreaming of for the last 30 years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AARP

Although you may not like socialized medicine it is what we have to save and protect and nuture our eldery in this age of ours. I dare any of you to give it up for philosophical reasons. Just get ready for that 20,000 dollar bill when you take granny in. It may happen a couple of times before she passes, or you could just leave her at home and let her die.

I remember one time AARP got into lobby to prevent descrimination of the elderly driving that was starting to be an issue in some states.

My brother in law, age 71 has had 2 triple by passes and extended medical care especially this last 3 months with more surguries etc. He really is a mess and I think he is getting ready to die but medicare supplement through AARP keeps paying paying paying for him. When we visited this winter he handed us an AARP magazine and told us to do it.

His wife, who has been fighting breast cancer for about 7 years now, receives chemo treatments 15,000 a hit, every three weeks for the past year. Once again AARP medigap propgram makes it happen... so what you like, and what you believe in and what you support I suppose depends on what side of the healthcare line you are standing on.