savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Thanks for that clairification.

I don't know what I thought Mohair was. Hair from a Mo? :gig

bettybohemian

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
They are both known as Angora because of the region the originate from. It has nothing to do with fiber production. They are from Angora, the capital of Turkey, now known as Ankara. Mohair gets more course as the goat ages. For the most part Angora stays fairly soft throughout the life of the rabbit.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Do you spin rabbit hair, betty, or goat? This seems like a cool and interesting hobby and could be such a useful craft, but I'd like to see the kind of thing you could make at home from this. Does anyone have any pictures of their spinning crafts?

I think this would be a cool thing to take up but can't quite picture what I'd make that is useful. I could use a sweater or two but the rest of my family doesn't wear them. Would a mohair or angora rabbit hair blanket be washable? I'm trying to see how practical this would be. I want SS hobbies but.........not so that I can make a scarf.

I can't knit, only crochet.

bettybohemian

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I spin goat and sheep. I just started so I'm no Good. Angora is usually better off blended with mohair or cotton or maybe even cashmere because it gets so hot. I've heard blended yarns can be washed cold and layer flat to dry. You can make anything you want really. Hats are quick . Scarves. Try looking on stay.com to see what others have made