Big lots fruit trees

On Our own

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Our Big Lots has trees but I never bought any because they looked so anemic and sad. I had gotten several rose bushes over the years, but only an average of one in three live.... Maybe I am just not getting there soon enough??

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
My son bought a pitiful pear tree from Big Lots several years ago as a gift for my BIL. Looked totally dead and sad and among the last of the tress sold that year. We gently scratched bark and it was still showing green. Son went it and offered the manager $2.00 for it and they accepted.

We took it home and hydrated it by soaking in a bucket of water for a couple of days before planting. Year before last was the second year of harvesting pears and my sis had so many pears she was giving them away to everyone. HUGE and delicious.

I think the trees tend to be a little more hardy than the rosebushes - plus you can always keep the receipt and return it if it doesn't live!

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That's like at Canadian Tire, the maybe water once a month lol. Maybe if you're lucky. They always look like they're going to die at any time lol.

nightshade

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
there in! $14 this year not much of a selection of apples , yellow or red Delicious, keiffer, Bartlett , and moon glow pears. Some really huge red haven and Elberta peaches. Red bud, silver and red maples, flowering pears

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Thanks for the alert, nightshade! I just called after reading that and ours are in too! They didn't know what varieties, but I'll go see for myself.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
$14 at our Big Lots. I bought a MacIntosh apple and an Anjou pear. They are very nice looking trees.
There were 3 varieties of pear, 2 of apple, 1 plum, 1 peach. No nut trees. I doubt that they were picked over already.
Nice balled trees, not bare root which is what weren't surviving for me. :fl

nightshade

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
good luck I got a huge peach and when I went back I did manage to find one McIntosh apple that was nice even though it was the ONLY one of its kind there. They did not look pick over yet at ours either.

rtaytlor

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
We just bought fruit trees for the same price at Lowe's. Good thing about Lowe's is they have a one year guarantee. If the plant dies within a year you get your money back.

Ross Taylor