Britesea - Living the good life in rural Oregon

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
toasted grasshoppers are ok. i've had them. :) if i'm hungry enough here ever again i'd be sure to eat them, as they are around here and this time of the year they're big.

the bluebirds like to come around here and wrestle them in the gravel. sometimes they're half the size of the birds. :)

as for eating bugs in oatmeal or other, yep, i'm sure i've had a few, but rarely on purpose. as they say what's worse than finding a worm in an apple? finding half a worm! :) i've found the dry skins of meal worms in oat meal, but never seen the live version. at least i didn't feel it wriggling when chewing or going down the gullet...

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ground Cherries:
Ground Cherries, aka Husk Cherries, aka Cape Gooseberries. They are a relative of tomatillo, and are little yellow marble sized fruits in a papery husk that looks like a chinese lantern. Taste is like a cross of a really sweet tomato, and pineapple. They surprised us with how tasty they are, and the upside down cake turned out really good.

it sounds good to me! :) thanks, i kinda figured they were something like that as i recalled someone calling tomatillos by that name. i've not had them though but they sound like good eating.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I just know that here we rarely have truly frozen ground depth. :idunno haven't checked beyond that. I think you should give it a shot!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So curiosity got me......all of VA and South into GA, etc, only 6 inches. That varies with weather, exact location, ground type, etc. I cannot remember having ground freeze more than an inch. And that only maybe once or twice. I'm sure the water has a lot to do with our warmer soil. Now I can rest on that issue. :rolleyes:

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yes, there's quite a difference in frost depth, note that two feet would be the average... when i was living up north that was like you all are talking about, much more and even then it would go deeper some years.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
oh, now i see by that map that they have the maximum depth, four to five feet here, that's double what we see on average.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Well, Spring is busting out all over. We don't have any frosts predicted for the next 10 days, but I'm gonna hold off on my tomatoes and peppers etc until June 7. Which, incidentally, may herald our broody hen coming out from under the house with some chicks. I sure hope so.

We incubated a few eggs earlier, and got 8 hatchlings out of 9 eggs. They are now at the gawky teen age stage and eager to be allowed out of the nursery coop to roam around with the adults, but I want to wait just a little longer so they can handle any cold snaps. We usually keep them in the fenced coop yard for a couple of weeks, til they get the hang of coming in at night. Usually we have to round them up the first week or they will just roost any old where- and with all the owls and eagles in our area, that just isn't a good idea.

All my spring-planted crops are growing well, but the lettuces are the only ones I can pick right now. I do have a couple of baby tomatoes coming up on the tomatoes which are still in the greenhouse.
wow its already in the high 80s here and thats unseasonably lower than usual. you guys dont have a very long season.