Britesea - Living the good life in rural Oregon

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
wow its already in the high 80s here and thats unseasonably lower than usual. you guys dont have a very long season.

we've already had high 80s here too and now the days are more back to normal and the night time temperatures are even getting back down into the high 30s. :( this season is all over the place. also it started fairly wet, then dried out for about three months and now we're finally getting more rains. we really needed it so i'm not complaining, but this cold and wet will hold us up on some planting this week.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
we've already had high 80s here too and now the days are more back to normal and the night time temperatures are even getting back down into the high 30s. :( this season is all over the place. also it started fairly wet, then dried out for about three months and now we're finally getting more rains. we really needed it so i'm not complaining, but this cold and wet will hold us up on some planting this week.
we seem to be getting flooded daily. everything is siaked to the point that any rain causes flooding. my lawn is a foot tall and i cant mow because ill get stuck

more rain in the forecast next week.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's a fact that some breed broody out! Personally I'm old school -- hens set and hatch.
Roosters are switched out mostly. A few old guys get to stay but, others are still introduced. So new blood. While the flock is backyard, I intro a few new hens, usually heritage breed, every couple yrs. My flock is self-perpetuating, cross bred, heavy types.. I like that, overall. Eggs and meat, home grown. I don't use lights in winter and all free range. Have a couple more broody now. :love It's a farm life, right? If I want more purebred, I pen & collect eggs for a short time. Usually give any broody a nest full.

The canner. Have you called CS? They may have ideas for you. Mine is older but, I bought it never used and old. It was still #7 and had petcock, not jiggler. ☺️ Bought the valve and jiggler from all American...to upgrade. The old owner manual has a list of parts with pictures and prices that make you laugh. Cost me $25 and a 2 hr drive to buy. The upgrade, $30. Great deal.

Last edited:

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don't think it's overpressure- as the burner I use on the stovetop keeps it exactly at 13 pounds. I don't know about uneven heat though.
All American just says that this is a common problem and I'm supposed to give it a few whacks with a rubber mallet to loosen it up. I've been doing that, and it works; but it bothers me that this is required now. They didn't give me any clues as to WHY I suddenly have to do this EVERY time I use my canner.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've got my garden planted except for the pole beans, bush beans, tepary beans, and the flour corn. It's been triple digit temps yesterday and today, with today having some humidity as well, which I am still NOT used to, having lived all my life in the arid parts of the West. We are on fire watch tonight too, because of possible thunderbumpers on extremely dry forest. I'm praying very hard that this is NOT the year I lose my home to wildfire.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm praying every day that the fires stay away from us, but of course, I also realize that sometimes the answer to my prayers might be "No" It bothers me that if we had to evacuate, we might not be able to save the chickens. The thought of trying to round them up and finding enough dog kennels or whatever to transport them...

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thank you. Everything is good today, and the weather is a bit cooler with no fire watch so far. The Sycan fire, which was the closest one to us at this time is something like 80% contained and they feel confidant about putting it out soon.

I planted my Tepary beans this morning. Looking forward to seeing what they do for me. Supposedly I should have no trouble getting a dried bean crop out of them by early September (first frost is usually mid-to-late September). I'll wait until this evening to plant the green beans.
Aaaaaa Tepary beans, man I forgot about those. We had some in our garden in the Illinois Valley a very long time ago,

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
On a more sober note, the oldest rooster, Duke, lost a fight with Goliath and is limping. He's been hiding somewhere on the property during the day. I'm afraid we're going to have to retire the old boy.