Britesea - Living the good life in rural Oregon

goatgurl

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
gotta love her, she's the baby. and we all know babies chew. i hope you let her know what a no no bad dog she was. and a hussy duck, a blue hussy duck no less.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Oh no! Hope the puppy figures out that isn't a good thing soon!
Aww Yay new duck! How she settles in easily.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Everyone is settling in nicely. I've been busy trying to puppy-proof... picking up papers that are low enough for her to reach, making sure the laundry gets done before it spills over the hamper-- that sort of thing. Caught her licking the (outside, thank goodness!) of a bowl of turkey I had pulled prior to canning.
Miss Blue seems to be hooking up with Big Boy, and Titipu and Sambo seem to be hanging out with each other a lot (which is funny because it was Titipu nipping at Sambo that got her the "treatment" from the rest of the flock when she first joined them)
I spent the last two days prepping and canning that turkey-- I now have 20 quarts of turkey and vegetables; suitable for soup, stew, pot pie, you name it.
Once I get the kitchen clean again, I need to start dehydrating about 30 pounds of sweet potatoes (I've already got 16 jars canned)

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Isn't it funny how the animal that goes after the other the worst is often where the friendship forms?

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
You OK? I just realized today how long it's been since you've been on. I hope it's just that you've been busy.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hi, yes, I'm ok. I've been very busy. I started going through my books and being ruthless about getting rid of everything but the ones that we simply can't say goodbye to. First I go through a box, pulling out the keepers. Then DH does the same to what's left in the box, and finally DS does the same. I figure that what's left after all three of us pull out what we want to keep are the ones I can get rid of. I've been taking them to the library, the senior center, and two local used bookshops. So far, I've been able to get rid of most of them.

I'm almost finished with a sweater I've been knitting for myself; just working on it off and on, like when I have to wait at the doctor's office or something like that. I'm not going to tell DH just how much it cost-- the yarn is extra fine merino, and silk. It's hand painted in beautiful soft water tones- greens, aqua and turquoise, blue, and lilac. I'll post a picture when I'm finally done. I've got the back done and the front is almost done, so that just leaves the arms and collar. I made up the pattern as I went along.

We had a quiet, relaxing Christmas; just the 3 of us. I made goodies to nosh on through the day, like deviled eggs and fruit, cheese and crackers. Coq au vin for dinner which sounds special but is essentially a chicken and mushroom stew with leftover red wine added to it.

DH bought me the latest game from the Civilization series, Beyond Earth. That's one reason I haven't been on the forum as much- I got addicted pretty quickly.

DS finally got a doctor to write a referral for him to be assessed for Autistic Spectrum Disorder (used to be called Asperger's Syndrome). It still may take 6 months or more for him to be seen, but at least we are moving forward.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I need this holiday season to end. I've gained back 1 of the 20 pounds I had managed to lose.

I've finally managed to do most of the laundry. We don't have a drier- in bad weather I hang the laundry up on lines I've strung in the utility room. But with all the baking and such, and the rain outside, it was taking two full days to dry each load and I fell behind.

The temps have dropped and we got a light sprinkle of snow. The thermometer read 16F outside the front door this morning at 8:30, and I haven't put up the shrink-wrap storm windows yet. I need to at least do the living room so it will be more comfortable in here.

I have another large (16 pounds) boneless pork butt to process- couple of pounds will get turned into canned chile verde, some I will cut into roasts and freeze, but most of it gets ground up and canned for making dog food. The puppy is on a premium Large Breed kibble because the vet just wasn't comfortable with me making food for her, but the older dog continues to get her homemade meals. I still think it's better than the commercial stuff; at 11 years old, she still acts like a puppy and her overall health is really good.