Britesea - Living the good life in rural Oregon

goatgurl

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
i make my emma dog stew all the time. meat, veggies and brown rice. she loves it. she still gets store bought once in a while but loves her home made best.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
I wouldn't listen to the vet. Your old dog is proof that it works. As long as she's getting good quality and nutrient dense food it should be good. There are supplements you can get from a few companies if you're really worried, but I'd go with home made food if you've had good success with it.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
When I get another dog, I plan on going homemade for her food.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Homemade is actually pretty easy. I buy large chunks of meat on a good sale (which usually means either turkey, chicken or pork these days) Something that costs less than $2 a pound. I also buy the large bags of frozen mixed veggies whenever they go on sale. I used to use brown rice for her, but lately I've been buying cob, even though it has corn in it, she seems to tolerate it just fine; and I didn't want to give her brown rice day in and day out since I found out it has a lot of arsenic in it. It works out to about a dollar per day for her (she eats about 3 cups a day), plus a capsule of powdered coral for calcium. Just to keep the vet happy, I'm feeding Millie the Eukanuba Large Breed Puppy formula for the first year or so, then I'll switch to home made.

I've had a couple of pieces of bad news this week-- first, a casual friend of ours was killed in an auto accident on Christmas Eve. The worst part for me was that I came upon the accident shortly after, and saw the covered body and knew there had been a fatality, but didn't realize it was Shorty until a couple of days later.
The second was a closer friend- one of the ladies I have coffee with in town every week- had a heart attack this weekend. Then while they were doing surgery to put 3 stints in, it dislodged some plaque or something which settled in her carotid artery and gave her a stroke. She seems to be doing pretty well- just some relatively minor cognitive difficulties, but she's still got to have the two arteries in her neck operated on. One is completely occluded, the other one is something like 50% occluded. I'm not a nurse, so don't hold me to those numbers. We usually have coffee on Tuesdays, but since she couldn't come to the cafe, we all bought ourselves to go cups, and drove out to the hospital and "had coffee" with her there. I think she was really happy to see us even though we couldn't stay a real long time.

Got a call today from CDRC about DS's referral to them. The doctor was calling to make sure they were the right people to see him. After about an hour-long interview over the phone, she decided that he's got something going on, but she can't tell whether it's autism or not, so they are going to schedule an assessment. Either way, I hope they will be able to help us figure out what is wrong, because he is simply unable to function as a normal adult. I would love if they were able to help him become a productive member of society, but if he is too "damaged" for that, at least he might be able to collect disability and I can stop being afraid that he will simply die in the gutter when we pass on and can't help him anymore.

With all that, I haven't been working on my sweater as much as I'd hoped, so it isn't finished yet. Maybe next week.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Sounds like you have a lot going on. And, I think taking the coffee to the hospital was a great idea! I'm sure that meant a lot to your friend.

I hope they're able to come up w/answers for your son. That must be rough.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I hope so too, Deb. He's obviously not happy with his life as it is.

Today, we all took it easy. I made up a grazing table with lots of different nibblements, instead of cooking a formal dinner. The only trouble with it is that it's harder to judge portions like that. I think I overate a bit.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ugh. I overate too. I was so good at dinner-but DH made popcorn and wouldn't ya know it - he made me a HUGE bowl just the way I like it....and I felt compelled to eat it...ugh. So much for the new year's diet! Geeze...

Denim Deb

Reaction score
I wanted munchies last night, and all I had was fudge. I tried to be good, but it sure wasn't easy.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Wow that's a lot of news. Glad you were able to make the coffee visit. So sorry about your friend.
Hope that DS is able to get answers soon!

goatgurl

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
coffee to go was a great idea, i know it meant a lot to your friend. at the risk of sounding stupid, about the homemade dog food , cob? like ground corn cob? how is it packaged and where do you find? otherwise our dog food sounds about the same. and like everyone else i sure hope your son can get some answers and some peace in his life. now get back to work on that sweater. i spent new years day at home alone, didn't cook. no black eyed peas, no hog jowl, no nothing for the first time in remembered history. now we'll see if those old wives tales are true and I'm poor and have bad luck all year.