Britesea - Living the good life in rural Oregon

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Your jar may have been damaged when you scraped the previous foodstuffs out, washed it after the last use, put it away for storage, washed it for this use, moved it from this shelf to that shelf, ...
Micro-fractures are really hard to detect. It's sorta a crap shoot for us canners - the odds are pretty good that we will not have any problems, but once in a while we hit the winning match-up and get a broken jar.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yes, @wyoDreamer I figured it was something like that. It's only the second jar in 10 years, so I'm not too worried; I just hate to lose the food that was in the jar!

Today we had no rain in the forecast, so I washed several loads of hubby's work clothes and hung them up on the line. I will be SO GLAD when he retires and I don't have those greasy duds to wash anymore! Whenever I wash them, I have to clean out the whole inside of the washing drum, to get the oil and grease out, or it ends up on my regular clothes. Also, my homemade detergent just can't cut it- I HAVE to buy one of the commercial ones that has petroleum-based detergents in it (Persil is the best). We are at less than 300 days left now, but who's counting? lol

I had to change some of my plans for today, because I discovered I did NOT have a second container of laundry detergent made up. I don't use it for the work clothes, as I said, but tomorrow I will be washing some of our regular clothes, and I need the detergent for that. It's hard on my hands, because we don't have a food processor so I have to grate the soap by hand. I usually make a large amount when I do it- like 4 bars of Fels Naptha at a time. Thank goodness, that's enough for half a year at least.

I made baked beans yesterday, but they didn't turn out very good because I forgot to rinse the extra salt off the salt pork, :sick. Today I'm making quiche lorraine (or as my DH prefers to call it- egg and onion pie) and green salad, with chocolate pudding and graham crackers for dessert.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Your menu always makes me hungry!

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I made a Quiche for breakfast this morning. My first attempt. I had some leftover pie crust from making apple pies, so figured what the heck! The chickens are giving us 10-11 eggs a day. 12 eggs today!
I used the Quiche Loraine recipe out of my Betty Crocker cookbook, but substituted cheddar cheese for the swiss since I cannot stand swiss on anything but Rueben sandwiches. Don't tell DH because he loves swiss cheese! I also added some fresh mushrooms. It turned out really good and DH says we will be having it again. ha, ha!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
sounds delish! My DH loves quiche - but he doesn't know it's called quiche - he calls it egg pie, lol!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've seen recipes for egg pie going back to medieval times. Anything that's been around that long must be good, right?

Today was a relaxed day. I folded laundry, cleaned the kitchen, and worked some more on my knitting but otherwise didn't do much. Had a simple dinner of pasta with shrimp, peas, lemon and thyme with a green salad. Now I'm headed for the kitchen to make a pudding for dessert and then curl up for Midsomer Murders...

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I could sure go some of the shrimp pasta right now and it's breakfast where I am! No matter, I eat leftovers for breakfast a lot of times. And I love quiche!! Or a "junk" omelet (everything in it).

Knitting is something I never learned but, admire. Always used to sew and made clothes for everyone. Pretty good at it, doing several weddings, prom dresses, custom curtains, stuffed toys, etc. It's been a "set aside" skill for a while now but I believe I will pull it out more this winter. Fills some time when you can't do things outside. Plus, it is a source of some income if you want it to be. Personally, I like being able to have clothes that fit me. LOL

Oh, did I mention I may have enough material to sew for years and years?! Yeah, part of the "whoever has the most club".

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I almost took a job in a quilt shop years ago - not a good choice for me as all the money would go back to the shop for fabric. I haven't really gone to a quilt shop since the move - and I have still managed to purchase over 7 yards of fabric for my stash ... and I have only sewn one small wall hanging.
How does the phrase go? I am a fabric-a-holic and I will work for fabric.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
MH, I eat leftovers for breakfast a lot as well.