Britesea - Living the good life in rural Oregon

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Been gone for a while; we went to the Mother Earth News Fair in Albany for the weekend. That was incredible, but the weather was close to triple digits and it was very enervating. We came home with a bunch of ideas, books, brochures, and an interesting type of wood splitter- sort of like a slide hammer. I'm looking forward to trying it.

Once the weather broke, we started working in earnest on the garden. I have a few more beds that need more soil and compost added and then I'll be able to finish planting. My deadline is Wednesday.

We bought a greenhouse :weee Right now, it's 6 boxes under the apple tree. As soon as I finish planting the garden we'll start assembling it. It's a Solarexx hoop house style- 12' long, 8' wide and 8' tall; I hope that will be big enough for our needs.

@frustratedearthmother the goose dinner was really delicious! I have no idea what the neighbors must have thought while we were plucking- the wind kept coming up and picking up drifts of feathers and down and carrying them away. We had sourdough rolls, green salad, mashed potatoes with drippings, and strawberry shortcake as well.

Well, break is over and time to plant the last tomatoes. Hopefully tomorrow I can get the peppers planted, but the laundry is assuming alarming proportions, lol.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
we went to the Mother Earth News Fair in Albany

That must have been a blast! Congrats on the green house. I need a 'screen' house here...don't really need a greenhouse in this climate.

Maybe the neighbors thought you were having a pillow fight, lol!!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have subscribed to MEN for years & Y E A R S ! ! Want to go to a fair so badly. Had hoped to do the Ashville NC one this Spring but, other things prevailed. I am trying to make SURE I go next year. Lucky you, for getting to go!

So, greenhouse next. :celebrate We'll need pics!

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
I did go to the Asheville one this year, and loved it again! My BF went with me this time (I went to the first Asheville one 3 years ago), and he even enjoyed himself! The only draw back was that it was about 45 degrees with GUSTY winds, like threatening to blow over the screens in the tent kind of winds! Everybody squeezed into the buildings to get out of the cold, and we kept deciding which talks to go to based on whether they were inside or outside. We ended up leaving early which was a real disappointment. We also were only able to stay for Saturday, we had to drive home on Sunday, and the weather was SO much nicer on Sunday and they had a lot of other cool talks that we wished we could have gone to!
@Mini Horses we'll have to stay in touch and see if we can meet if we make it next year!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Weather this year was random & unseasonal! I want to go next year & would love to meet up.

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Congrats on the greenhouse. I also have been a fan of Mother Earth for years. Read every issue from cover to cover, but it's beginning to seem to me that MEN and Grit are just recycling articles from year to year with slight variations & pics and throw in a few new articles here and there.

I would love to go to the MEN Fair, but the one in my area is at a bad time in the year for me. My other half can't get the time off from teaching.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yes, I've felt the same about recycling situation and that they "share" the articles. Guess there's only so much you can say about the subject matters. Even researching the archives from 30 yrs ago, similar.

You still get some new ideas from some people with recycling, tips on gardens & methods that work for them.

In a way, this is like the forums and their members. Years back self-sufficiency was a matter of necessity. Now, you do not have as many young ones returning to that and when you do, they search for ideas & methods, then they are gone. In today's world I do not see the neighborliness that was part of life years back. Many lost arts. Now you hit a Wal-Mart & buy cheap clothes, chemical foods and go home to microwave it. Used to sew the clothes, grow the food, go to the cellar and hen house, milk the cow and cook dinner on a wood stove.

I don't want to not have some of the new devices but, know that some of the modern farms and GMOs do not give the nutrition food used to provide. A happy medium....grow most, milk goats, hen house eggs, butcher some meats, and cook on electric stove with a/c going.:cool: Much prefer my quiet life to that of the neighborhoods having shoot-outs almost daily.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I agree about the MEN not having much in the way of new articles and information. I noticed a big change in content when the magazine was sold. Back in the day, it seemed to be geared more toward people who didn't have much money but were willing to work hard and look for stuff that could be recycled; you still see some of those articles, but it seems to be more slanted toward those that have money to spend.

We signed up for a couple of classes at the local community college today- one on Wilderness Survival and the other is First Aid and CPR.
It's been raining, so I wasn't able to finish planting the garden. Tomorrow should be warm and sunny so I hope to get something done. We also have a couple of cords of wood coming in tomorrow morning, so it will be a busy day!

Well, I got a strong feeling that people don't like to hear what I'm fixing for dinner, so I guess I'll stop bothering you with that.
TTFN

Latest posts