Bug Out Bag... what is the minimum I need?

chickensducks&agoose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have looked at all these B.O.B. kit lists, but I have 3 kids, and there is no way I am going to be able to haul all that stuff anywhere with my little kids too. If I have to have just ONE regular sized backpack (EMS, or LL Bean school pack), what should be in it?

If I have a lot of time to pack, and bringing my car is feasible, then yes, i can bring a lot of stuff, but what should be hanging on a hook in my shed for a true emergency?

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Beef jerky, trail mix, peanut butter, granola bars, gauze and tape for wound care, personal documents (birth certificates etc) garbage bags for cover in case of rain, those foil emergency blankets...

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Matches, a way to purify drinking water, a good knife, if anyone is on meds, they should be someplace they can be grabbed quickly, emergency ponchos....

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Definately meds,first aid stuff.... food ( snack types) Peanutbutter, granola, stuff kids will eat, and has good protein...water purification tablets, ( you can get them at Wal Mart, in the camping section) A Few of those colapsable drinking cups, solar blankets, trashbags, matches, candles, and, a camp coffee pot. They are small, and will boil water easily. Also, if needed, you can cook up soup in them. Depending on the kids ages, a deck of cards, UNO, Dominoes. ALWAYS fishing line,hooks and duct tape. Oh....and CHOCOLATE!!!!! :)

Wallybear

Power Conserver
Reaction score
This is a matter of personal opinion only, but this is how I see it.

Shared Pack
12'x12' sheet of 4 mil plastic. Preferable with nylon weave.
50' of Para cord
aluminum pot for cooking and heating water
Fire kit including 2 lighters, mag stick and petroleum jelly mixed with cotton for tinder.
Pump style water filter
Collapsible water bag
Kitchen or hunting style knife with sheath
quality multi-tool
Bow saw blade and 2 nails for building a bow saw in the field
triangle file
Preferred firearm with 50 rounds.
small sewing kit
small fishing kit
6 Thompson style snares
Small hatchet
eating utensils
large metal cups for eating and drinking
Small Tactical flashlight
Choice of comunications to the outside world
First aide kit

Individual Packs (even small children can carry a little)
3 pair of socks
3 pair of under ware
1 pound peanut butter
2 pounds of rice
1/4 pound salt
3 large garbage bags
6 zip ties
Poncho
wool blanket
pocket knife (age dependant)
roll of toilet paper in plastic bag

The list for the small pack also goes into the large pack for the person carrying it. Depending on the age and size of the children you can slit up items from the large pack into the smaller ones. Remember no more than 7# of pack weight for every 50# of child carrying it.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
How old are the kids? Even if they are young there are still a few things they can carry in their own backpack. Same goes for dogs. They can carry their own food in a puppy backpack.

chickensducks&agoose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
8, 4 and 5. the little ones weigh 35 and 46 lbs respectively. the 8 year old is 60lbs+ i think. and strong. We've got a lot of the important stuff, it's just not organized or ready to go. :)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea the kids should have a small bug out bag also.
tell them, if we must leave immediately, you always take this bag with you....that way you can store a bit more.

put one kid in charge of the "snack, trail mix food bag"
one kid in charge of the "bandage bag"

kids get into that stuff lol

BUT why are you bugging out? truly?

bug out is super extreme.....do you live in an earthquake area, something like that? or are you thinking world wide catastrophe?

just wondering

what you pack will depend on why you are packing also in a way

Latest posts