Bug Out Bag... what is the minimum I need?

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I went fishing this morning and while the fish were NOT biting I was day dreaming about another type of survival item we may want to think about.

Entertainment items.

What about a deck of cards - a harmonica - dulcimer - guitar - banjo - songbook - small board game - ball - jacks - dice, etc. Stuff like that. Of course it must be light weight and small for a BOB but it may make a difficult life a little bit more tolerable. Recreation and temporary escape is vital to good mental health. And good mental health is vital to survival.

In a bug out situation we must remember that both physical and mental fatigue are not our friends. And both can sneak up on us without our awareness. We must take time to rest and refresh ourselves. Especially if we have children along with us. Children especially like to be calmed in the evening with a nice fairy tail or bed-time story.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Boogity, I'm in the process of designing a bag I can carry w/me when I go horseback riding by myself for just in case. And, besides the regular stuff you'd expect to find in there, I plan on having a deck of cards, a harmonica and a pad of paper and a pencil. I figure this would help to keep my spirits up, and if I record everything, it would be an exciting adventure, instead of a scary situation.

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Looks like a few folks in Japan would have benefitted by having a BOB in the past week, eh?
:idunno

tamlynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I call them 72-hour kits. Every member of my family has a packed backpack in an easily accessible place. We could grab them and be out the door in a matter of minutes. Once or twice a year we go through the backpacks and replace things that are outdated (expired food, clothes we've outgrown) and replenish. Then if we are able we add a new item that we can afford or have heard would be useful. This year we will be adding a local street map.

There are many reasons you may have to evacuate your house- fire, flood, chemical emergency, hurricane, etc.

Our family also has designated meeting places where we would all try to get to if we couldn't go home. A local church or school is usually a good place. My mil was a child in Europe during WWII. She insisted her family all had a long-term meeting place, like the place where she and fil were married on the day of their wedding anniversary. (Not as romantic as the top of the Empire State building on Valentines Day, but good advice:) )

There are lots of website with lists of things for 72 hour kits. Start with the absolute essentials- water, warmth/shelter, meds, etc. and add other nice things as you are able, tp, flashlights, food, soap, money, etc.

My kids get a little more in their backpacks each year as they get older. Even tiny kids can carry a change of clothes, a little water, and some ID.

ETA: I live in such a densely populated area that driving anywhere in a large emergency would be hopeless. If we are lucky we could ride our bikes, but most likely we would be walking, so our backpacks need to be realistic in weight.

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
tamlynn said:
I call them 72-hour kits. Every member of my family has a packed backpack in an easily accessible place. We could grab them and be out the door in a matter of minutes. Once or twice a year we go through the backpacks and replace things that are outdated (expired food, clothes we've outgrown) and replenish. Then if we are able we add a new item that we can afford or have heard would be useful. This year we will be adding a local street map.

There are many reasons you may have to evacuate your house- fire, flood, chemical emergency, hurricane, etc.

Our family also has designated meeting places where we would all try to get to if we couldn't go home. A local church or school is usually a good place. My mil was a child in Europe during WWII. She insisted her family all had a long-term meeting place, like the place where she and fil were married on the day of their wedding anniversary. (Not as romantic as the top of the Empire State building on Valentines Day, but good advice:) )

There are lots of website with lists of things for 72 hour kits. Start with the absolute essentials- water, warmth/shelter, meds, etc. and add other nice things as you are able, tp, flashlights, food, soap, money, etc.

My kids get a little more in their backpacks each year as they get older. Even tiny kids can carry a change of clothes, a little water, and some ID.

ETA: I live in such a densely populated area that driving anywhere in a large emergency would be hopeless. If we are lucky we could ride our bikes, but most likely we would be walking, so our backpacks need to be realistic in weight.
GREAT POST. :thumbsup :celebrate :ya