Canning beans

KnittyGritty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Does anyone have an accurate chart that tells you how many pounds of dry beans you need for how many pints of canned beans? I'm just canning pinto beans, and supposedly 4.5 lbs. of dry beans should yield 12 pints when full. But I'm getting 22! I'm supposed to fill the jars 2/3 full of soaked and heated beans, then add boiling water - maybe my idea of 2/3 is off? Is it 2/3 to the top, or 2/3 to the 1" down point? Does anyone else have this problem? Now I have to can a second batch, and I hadn't planned on that today. :(
As you can tell, I'm fairly new at this.........thanks!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You could try the way I can beans. For a pint jar put in 1/2 cup of dry (not soaked) beans, 1/2 tsp salt (optional) and fill with boiling water, leaving a 1" headspace. Put the lids and rings on and process in a pressure canner for 75 minutes at the pressure that is appropriate for your location (15 lbs for me at 4500 feet). The beans will soften and cook during processing and they have always come out perfect for me. I especially like this method because if I am canning up some leftover soup or something, and I have some empty spaces, I can make just enough jars of beans to fill up the canner.

You can also add seasonings if you want. I make chili beans by adding to the dry beans and salt:
1 slice jalapeno, 1 garlic clove, about 1/4 cup each diced onion and red bell pepper, 1/2 tsp paprika, a dash liquid smoke, 1/2 tsp cumin, 1/2 Tbsp chili powder, 1/4 tsp cayenne, and 2 tbsp tomato sauce. Again fill to 1" with boiling water, stir to ensure there are no bubbles, and proceed with processing.

To make a quart of beans, just double everything and process for 90 minutes

KnittyGritty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Britesea, can I do this for any bean, even garbanzo beans?

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've done it with red beans and black beans. I believe it would work for any beans, I'm planning on making some garbanzos also.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Britesea said:
You could try the way I can beans. For a pint jar put in 1/2 cup of dry (not soaked) beans, 1/2 tsp salt (optional) and fill with boiling water, leaving a 1" headspace. Put the lids and rings on and process in a pressure canner for 75 minutes at the pressure that is appropriate for your location (15 lbs for me at 4500 feet). The beans will soften and cook during processing and they have always come out perfect for me. I especially like this method because if I am canning up some leftover soup or something, and I have some empty spaces, I can make just enough jars of beans to fill up the canner.

You can also add seasonings if you want. I make chili beans by adding to the dry beans and salt:
1 slice jalapeno, 1 garlic clove, about 1/4 cup each diced onion and red bell pepper, 1/2 tsp paprika, a dash liquid smoke, 1/2 tsp cumin, 1/2 Tbsp chili powder, 1/4 tsp cayenne, and 2 tbsp tomato sauce. Again fill to 1" with boiling water, stir to ensure there are no bubbles, and proceed with processing.

To make a quart of beans, just double everything and process for 90 minutes
Thanks for these instructions! I love the convenience of canned beans but the storage of the dried and I often have a canner with an empty spot! and I have plenty of beans to try this with. gonna copy/paste them into my recipe folder.. :love

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Soaking the beans prior to cooking or canning reduces the "gas effect" beans have on many people/makes them more digestible, so there are good reasons to soak first, ymmv :)

KnittyGritty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
So, moolie, if I do decide to soak, how do you calculate how many lbs. of dry beans to soak for how many finished pints?

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The gas effect tends to go away as you eat more beans and acquire more of the enzymes needed to digest them. Most people don't eat beans all that often.