Canning beans

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
KnittyGritty said:
So, moolie, if I do decide to soak, how do you calculate how many lbs. of dry beans to soak for how many finished pints?
:hu Sorry, I don't calculate, I just soak up a bag at a time and then can it. Usually works out to full jars and I can it off with soup that's on the go so I have two layers of jars in the pressure canner when I run it. I just do it for convenience as needed--I run my canner every few weeks so it's not something I plan in advance for any particular number of jars.

Britesea said:
The gas effect tends to go away as you eat more beans and acquire more of the enzymes needed to digest them. Most people don't eat beans all that often.
I've read that, but our family eats beans (navy, kidney, black turtle, pinto) and other legumes (lentils and split peas don't need soaking but chick peas do) regularly and we find a real difference with soaking--both my younger daughter and I experience lots of gas with commercially canned beans (my MIL uses cans of beans from the store for things like Chili, Black Bean Soup, 3 Bean Salad etc.) that we don't get with soaked beans, but YMMV :)

Jo-Ann

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Britesea said:
You could try the way I can beans. For a pint jar put in 1/2 cup of dry (not soaked) beans, 1/2 tsp salt (optional) and fill with boiling water, leaving a 1" headspace. Put the lids and rings on and process in a pressure canner for 75 minutes at the pressure that is appropriate for your location (15 lbs for me at 4500 feet). The beans will soften and cook during processing and they have always come out perfect for me. I especially like this method because if I am canning up some leftover soup or something, and I have some empty spaces, I can make just enough jars of beans to fill up the canner.

You can also add seasonings if you want. I make chili beans by adding to the dry beans and salt:
1 slice jalapeno, 1 garlic clove, about 1/4 cup each diced onion and red bell pepper, 1/2 tsp paprika, a dash liquid smoke, 1/2 tsp cumin, 1/2 Tbsp chili powder, 1/4 tsp cayenne, and 2 tbsp tomato sauce. Again fill to 1" with boiling water, stir to ensure there are no bubbles, and proceed with processing.

To make a quart of beans, just double everything and process for 90 minutes
Britesea, this past week, I canned up 24 pints of red beans using your method. To each jar, I added 2 slices of smoked sausage, cut in 1/2" rounds & a tablespoon of onions. For once, all the jars sealed!! And the came out delicious, just the right amount of tenderness. It was my first time canning beans & I'm so glad I did. The convenience will be so great.

I also love your idea of putting a jar or 2 into a not-quite-full canner load. I think I'll get a few small packs of various dry beans and use them this way. Thanks for the ideas.

Jo-Ann

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
thanks for the warm fuzzies! :D

I'm planning to try garbanzos next- maybe spiced to make hummus so all I have to do is mash them

Jo-Ann

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Britesea said:
I'm planning to try garbanzos next- maybe spiced to make hummus so all I have to do is mash them
Now that garbanzo idea is a great one!

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Just a food safety note: be sure to increase your processing time as required (check your canner manual) when adding meat to veggies/legumes when pressure canning :)

Jo-Ann

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
moolie said:
Just a food safety note: be sure to increase your processing time as required (check your canner manual) when adding meat to veggies/legumes when pressure canning :)
According to the National Center for Home Food Preservation, both beans & meats are canned for 75 minutes at 10 psi for pints. I'm kind of new to canning, so I always checks the processing times at their website.

cknmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I love the info!! Didn't know I could can beans. Must try the chili beans.
Monica

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Don't forget to adjust the pressure if you live at high altitudes. I have to use 15 lbs pressure when I can, and I use longer processing times for water bath canning. (our water boils at 208 degrees here)