Canning Suggestions

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have not done any canning either. I'm kind of scared I'll mess it up, lol. But next year I really want to learn!

Looking forward to the seed catalog arriving so we can plan our garden. I'm kind of new to gardening and still have a lot to learn :)

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
There is a lot of good videos on YouTube showing how to can. I like Linda's Pantry for all types of food prep and preservation. It's not any harder than following a recipe and cooking. I wouldn't buy a water bath canner though any tall pot with a lid will work. You will need a rack in the bottom or use canning rings to keep the jars off the bottom. Spend a little money and buy a canning kit with a jar lifter, canning funnel and a magnetic lid picker upper. You can't imagine how important these are until you try canning without one. I haven't had a pressure canner in years and only water bath can but I plan on getting a pressure canner (or two) in a couple of months. I would be careful getting a canner off Craig's list unless someone can go with you to check it out that knows canners. Good luck and enjoy the fruit of your labor.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Start with waterbath canning high acid foods if you're too nervous. It's easy and safe.

My mom had me terrified of pressure canners. She told tales of great grandma's canner exploding several times. Talking to my great aunt, it was the pressure cooker going over pressure on the wood cook stove spraying a bit of food out of the pressure release. Great grandma was never very concerned about it. Nothing exploded.

After that I felt confident enough to try. Modern pressure canners have so many safety features they are pretty safe.

My first try was a tuna. Not one single issue. It was just boring keeping an eye on it to get to pressure then putting on the weight and starting the time. Processing times are long on meats and fish.

I have a weighted gauge canner so I just have to listen for any changes to the jiggling. I sit down with something to read near the stove.

My canner is an All American so there is no gasket to worry about. I'm not sure about other canner brands.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yes! My mother keeps telling me the same thing. She thinks I'm going to blow the house up. Sheesh thanks for the vote of confidence mom.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have an All American canner and I love it. It is the only pressure canner made in America. It is a machined, heavy piece of kitchen equipment.

You might want to start, as has been suggested, with water bath canning. Jelly is easy and a good place to start.

Land of Lincoln

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions everyone, ya'll are wonderful.
When I look to purchase all of my supplies, I'd like to get American Made if I can. (no pun intended, but works)

@Britesea - Thanks for the tip, I'll keep that in mind when purchasing. I have a gas stove that has the 4 burers & there's a 5th burner in the middle of them all that is longer which might work for a larger pot, I use that burner for my cast iron griddle and it works really well.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yes, use acid with modern tomatoes. Some come up pretty low acid.

My SIL made some sauce one year and didn't follow directions (or a recipe I think). For some reason she thought adding 2 tablespoons vinegar to the waterbath would do the trick. My brother refused to eat it, which is good. Whatever she did, those jars sat on the counter for several weeks and slowly began oozing.

I really wish I knew what all she did wrong for them to fail that quick even. My brother said it was her first time canning. The thing that gets me is he told her that our Mom would happily show her how to waterbath and make jams. Mom prefers to freeze tomatoes, but even looked up a couple sauce canning recipes for her.

I guess the lesson there is follow a tested recipe if you haven't done it before. SIL decided it took to long to process stuff. Both my brothers beg jams and syrups off Mom and me. We use then more for smoothies and yogurt than sandwiches.

waretrop

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
No wait. I am confused. I put lemon in my tomatoes in the jar to make sure they are acid enough as some newer tomatoes are lower acid. I also use vinegar or alum in my water of the canner, not in the jars to keep the metal nice and clean.....

It sounds like someone got mixed up here. Is it me???