CreativeTwinsZoo's journal of self sufficancy

creativetwinszoo

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hi everyone! Just starting here and what better way for Q and A's than lovely journals???

OK, to start of with a name, Creativetwinszoo is my name! :)

Where I live? In a house my twin and I just got at the beggining of the year (not super big, but great begginer home for sure!)

We have critters... Lots of em it seems to haha ^,^; let's see
We have one lolly-pup whom was rescued from a bad situation and given a loving forever home with us :3
There's my two aquariums, ones a 45 gal hexagonal with mollies, betta fish, zebra danios and a pkecostomus. Also a 55 gal long, it has African cichlids. Convicts, Dempsey's and I'm forgetting the last breed like always -rollseyes-
The twin has a turtle who was as well a rescue :)
Chickens, 2 barred rooks, 3 golden sexlinks, a bcm, a wheaten and someday more :D
And 3 Swedish blue ducks
We're hoping to add rabbits soon (for meat and fur)

I like to to to reduce, reuse and recycle as much as possible. Sometimes I believe I drive people nuts with it :/

OK off to check out what other questions I can add/answer!

creativetwinszoo

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We harvested our carrot bed today! Got some decent carrots!
20200325_104754.jpg

creativetwinszoo

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hey all~
How your all doing as well as you can be in these troubled times.

Was up early today to stand in line for 2 1/2 hours on the hope I'd find tp for a supply run to my fmil. It was worth it as there was! First time I've seen tp in a store in almost a month now!!!

More good news~~
20200401_063402.jpg

My beans are finally growing!! Yaaass, cant wait for some awesome fresh beans 🧡

20200401_063424.jpg

The corns going, but hasnt gotten much bigger yet, unsure why tho. Got some peppers planted and Got some flowers on my cucumbers and 1 squash flower! :D
A few tiny tomatoes too, I'm so excited!

creativetwinszoo

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hey all, with all the bad going on I wanted to share some good~

Our garden bv has produced~
20200318_140332.jpg

A cabbage! Theres another lil one, but we're waiting to pick it as of yet.

As well, the corn starts I bought at the school sale are adjusting well!
20200318_091501.jpg

And weve finally got
20200311_130349.jpg

A broccoli!

We planted a bunch of bean seeds today and set up a trellis down the seed line. Also got some squash seeds planted.
The tomatoes are starting to get get flowers as are some of the cucumbers~
With luck we'll be eating quite a bit of fresh veggies during the shutdowns. So long as no on takes them that is.

Hope you are all doing well and are healthy, be safe out there! Anyone else have any good news?

creativetwinszoo

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hey there Every one!

Goodness its been awhile since i was last visiting here. sept 10 2020 was the last time i posted and its been embarrassingly long since i came to visit. The last few years have been wild with everything going on. Unfortunately this group and a few other online ones got set off to the side for a bit

I'm nearing the end of my current degree, with luck i'll be graduating sometime next year and hopefully heading into a related career. Maybe not the one i was hoping or even guessing but none the less exciting still.

I'll have to snag some pics of the garden now, ITs changed a lot! The prior way we were growing wasn't working for everyone so we did a bit of an overhaul and as always its a work in progress lol.

We've chickens and ducks both again. The toruble neighbour moved, but the owner of that house moved in and that has been its own basket of hamsters.

More updates and regular visits to come hopefully?

creativetwinszoo

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Oh birdys and bees, it's been awhile since I was last on
Sorry to have just dropped off the face of the earth everyone (if anyone still visits this way to check on this journal ) it's been almost two years now since I kinda dissapeared :( sorry if I worried anyone, it's been super busy and just allover crazy hectic!

That kookie roommate we were having issues with no longer lives with us, thank goodness! We do have a different roommate now, who has been faaaaaaaaaaar better!! Shes now on I think heading year 3 of rooming with us as well of the last week Monday lol.
Unfortunately we no longer have bunnies (though someday we plan on having them once more!)
We are hoping to get chickens again soon (by the end of the year maybe, different coop different setup and different spot)
Weve also been working on getting some garden beds out up in the back yard and trying different methods of potted gardening too:woot
Uhm..... I'm sure there is a buttload more I've not put up that I can't entirely think of rn, but I'm hoping to be here again regularly to post, learn and chat again!!! :pop:weee:woot

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don't know about starvation mode dangers, but I do know that it's been over 2 years and my health is better than it's ever been... no cholesterol issues, my A1C is almost to "not diabetic", and blood pressure has been slowly dropping. My doctor is ecstatic. And the first place I lost weight was the belly fat that's supposed to be so bad for you. After the first 6 months or so, I didn't do the extreme, extra-low keto because I just didn't feel comfortable with not having a wider array of vegetables (and their nutritive values) available. I still don't eat grains, sugar, honey, or milk except for cultured milk products (butter, cheeses, kefir, buttermilk, yogurt), and my total carb intake for the whole day tends to be less than what most people have in one meal.

I think that the reason there are so many different diets out there is because no one diet works for everyone; just like there are so many different pain killers available because not one of them is perfect for everyone (for instance, we discovered after surgery that morphine acted like a placebo for my mother but when they gave her hydrocodone it helped with the pain). You have to find the one that works for YOU.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I tell people that ask about keto, that the best way to stick to any diet is to to try to find acceptable analogs for the foods you aren't supposed to have. I tend to not care much for the keto breads, but I like the low carb tortilla wraps I can get in the store, and I like biscuits made with Bob's Red Mill Low Carb Baking Mix. Occasionally my husband tries to make bread using Carbalose flour, but so far a really good loaf has escaped him. Luckily, for me Monkfruit produces a sweet taste that I like. Swerve is ok in some baked goods.

If you like the fathead pizza, there are several other fathead recipes out there... I use it to make "bagel dogs" which taste pretty good, and I made some soft pretzels once that were good too.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
swapping seeds via mail is more expensive than outright purchasing them.
But swapping among friends is such a gift. I've had folks on this forum send me seeds and I do know that they spent more on postage than I would have spent on seeds. But, I appreciate those folks and their generosity. What else is kindness and friendship about?

I've also sent plants and products that I've produced to folks here. I didn't worry about the cost of postage because I enjoyed the act of giving.