CreativeTwinsZoo's journal of self sufficancy

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I think some of the worst things to happen to our communities have been air conditioning, television, and the internet. Before the advent of these, people didn't spend all their time indoors and isolated. They sat outside on the porch because it was too bloody hot to stay inside, and visited with each other. The kids roamed in packs across everyone's yards and the parents kept an eye on all the kids and didn't hesitate to scold someone if they caught them doing something dangerous or mean. You knew your neighbors, and you worked at getting along since there wasn't any escape from them.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It can certainly can be pricey. This time of year I crave a lot of fresh food so I'm going with that right now. Nothing better than some fresh green beans sautéed with lots of garlic and butter. Or asparagus....or broccoli. Just about anything green is calling my name right now. I think as long as I could have fresh veggies - I could do vegetarian for at least a couple of weeks before I'd crave some meat. I have tons of chickens and fresh eggs - and don't even want to look at an egg right now, lol. Food phases...what can I say?

creativetwinszoo

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Woot! At work today it wasn't too terrible of weather stayed mid 90's and even sprinkled just a lil bit. Moved trees today, as well as some piping for the temporary greenhouse and ripped up some old fencing in preparation for the upcoming semester, boy will I be glad when it's all done. this summer was just brutal for a lot of the work we did. Also rescued a dragon fruit cactus from the trash, gonna try to nurse it back to okness or just try to make at least some new cactus to give away and enjoy.
Gonna try to make a few more raised bed boxes for the yard tomorrow morning if I wake up early enough and the weather stays halfway decent. (I'll take some of pics to share too if I remember!) Might also do some fiber cleanup and dye work too ☆◇☆ I gotta get back on track for the 'orchid's I'm working on lol.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Welcome back!
I do keto also... I've lost 70 pounds, and more to go. It's been long enough that I don't have any real trouble with falling off... at least not too bad... I made some summer borscht and ate a LOT of it, which is a no-no, but at least it wasn't donuts or something.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sounds like your friends were on the Carnivore diet, rather than Keto. When I read about the Carnivore diet, I couldn't help thinking "Look at your teeth! You were made to be an Omnivore!" Vitamin C is one vital vitamin that humans cannot synthesize, and I don't recall reading that meat has any. Even the Inuit, which came closest to carnivore that I ever read about, relished the vegetable contents of the seals they killed.

But I have also read stuff online written by people that claim to eat nothing but meat and say they feel great...

Fat is also really important. I remember reading an interview with a participant of one of those "survival" shows where she was on a tropical island. There was plenty to eat: lots of fish in the sea, lots of tropical fruits and stuff. But she lost weight and said she spent the entire time there feeling constantly hungry because there were almost no fat sources.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've never understood people that didn't like vegetables. There are very few of them that I have not cared for, and most of the time it turned out that I just didn't care for them prepared that way, and I suspect that might be the case for people that claim to not like veggies.

Reminds me of the story about a woman whose mother would take a pound of ground beef and brown it, then open and drain a can of "chop suey" vegetables and throw it in, warm it all together and called it chinese food. All through her 20's, when friends would make suggestions about where to go out for dinner, she would say "No, I don't care for chinese food". Well, one day, she got outvoted, and they went to a nice chinese restaurant. Bravely, because she had been taught to be polite about it, she took a bite. And another. And another.

"THIS IS CHINESE FOOD???" She realized all those years she'd been missing out on what has since become her favorite food, simply because she had not like it the way her mother prepared it, lol.

creativetwinszoo

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
20190810_125004.jpg
Busy busy here today, sanding, lacquering, cutting and using power tools oh my
Working on a project with the housespouse for our room and doing work for the garden I want to have set up out back and try to get running before the end of the month. Thankfully the weather's not to onery, seems about 99 degrees and been working in the shade makes it decently tolerable lol

More pics to come later

creativetwinszoo

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Busy day at work, measuring out beds in the farm, defeating and raking, doing a lil tree trimming and cactus removal~ thankfully past a few branch bumps no prickers to be had :thumbsup
Thinking I might do some fiber dying today as well as maybe make some dough for chili breads since I've gotta get the burger in the fridge cooked up. Also I think it was somewhere here i might've been talking about the rack i use to dry fiber? Finally took a picture, dont mind the dead plant mess in the background lol, it's been hot with no foreseeable cooling in the future :"(
20190822_105252.jpg

The rack was labeled to sell as a fish drying rack, got it originally to try and dry fruit slices with no flys then figured eh, it'll hold the wool better than what bbn I had and I can kinda pack it in lol
IMG_20190820_222500_552.jpg
Also finally got a flower up front from the seeds we scattered, yaaaay! Might upload some pics of the garden setup progress tomorrow, gotta get my rear in gear lol
Hope everyone's doing good and keeping cool!

creativetwinszoo

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
20190824_103410.jpg

Rescued a drsgonfruit cactus from the trash, trimmed off lots funky, rotted and dead looking parts off while supporting it, were it's at is not its final settlement, but it will remain potted :)
Anyone grow dragon fruit? Any tips? I've watched a few videos, but many sources give many options :)

Latest posts