CSA?

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I would say that THE most important thing is a weekly newsletter with excellent recipes. The #1 reason people leave CSAs is they can't use all the food--either too much or no way to use it--so newsletters are a great place to teach people how to blanch and freeze, dry or use their vegetables in good recipes.

kitchwitch

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the replies, I will check out that thread ASAP. I have spent the winter doing a lot of reading and checking out CSAs all over the country to get an idea of what they include and it's something I'd love to do. Unfortunately, the local farmer's market is almost impossible to get a table at (it's pretty big) and I don't want to be one of many vegetable vendors. I also don't have enough meat birds that I could have processed to sell at a farmers market and still make some profit. With a CSA I know I have x number of shareholders and I will need to provide so much poultry for them.

As far as a side of the road farm stand: the sides of our roads aren't big enough :) and unfortunately I work a split shift during the week and early on Saturdays, so my operating hours would be very strange.

I am planning to sell produce this year at the community yard sales of various family members though.

ETA: I completely agree with the idea of newsletters. I've noticed on several CSA websites that they list what goes out in every box and I definitely plan on doing that as well as including various recipes. I love to cook and I know from experience (I didn't grow up in a house that ate vegetables) how intimidating it is to cook something you've never cooked before. The last thing I want is a bunch of angry people that turned their fresh okra into slimey goo. :)