Daydreaming while waiting impatiently!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
No pics? :hit

Hope the baby gets his sleeping times figured out soon and that your DS8 feels better soon. :hugs

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
How is everything going now? I hope things have calmed down some and you've just been busy.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
This week is DH's family vacation. They rent a lake house in our town for a week every year. We've been away a lot, but things keep on going at the farm!!!

The lambs arrived Monday and Tuesday nights. Each ewe had one lamb. We have a ewe lamb (keeper, now named Avalon) and a ram lamb (for the freezer). The babies are doing well. The ewe who had hers first (Ava) has been bullying the other ewe's lamb (meat boy) by knocking it into the barn gutter. So we put the younger lamb (meat boy) and Momma (Isabella) into a lambing pen again. I hope we can get the flock all together soon!

A predator got our rooster. :( DH bought live traps! We suspect raccoons again. We have 6 adult hens left and DH has started locking them in the coop. It's so funny to watch them follow him to the coop at night, looking like baby ducks following their momma!

The RIR baby chicks are free ranging during the day and eating a combination of food scraps, dog food, and starter crumbles. They are fully feathered and half-size now. The 2 barnyard mix chicks we hatched from fertile eggs from a friend are living in a big dog crate and slowly taming.

My rabbit colony plan has come together. I have 2 pens, both 4 x 6 feet. 2 girls in one side, and a buck in the other. I have to sweep it out every other day. I have been scrubbing the cement too while they're figuring out litterboxes. The girls are peeing in the litterbox MOST of the time now. The buck... not so much. I have indoor / outdoor carpet to put down for them to help protect the cement and give the rabbits a softer surface. I intend to make/find some boxes and things for them to climb on and nest in.

The quack grass is winning in the garden. :/

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I'm feeling thankful for the connectedness of the internet. I posted in a facebook group that I am looking for a rooster. A few hours later, I picked up a free rooster. He's big and pretty, with a bit of an aggression "problem". DH is not concerned, he thinks the rooster will learn to respect us and leave us alone. We need a protective rooster to help with smaller predators. We hope this guy does the job!

The first peas are almost ready! We're harvesting radishes. Many of the radishes split - the sheep and goats like them! The early variety of blueberries has (green) berries!

I'm working on getting the house all extra-clean and nice for DH for Father's Day. :love

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
He is going to sleep earlier, about 9 p.m. (rather than staying awake until midnight!). It's much better! We're getting enough sleep now. TY for asking <3

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's awesome - sometimes there's just nothing that does a body any better than uninterrupted sleep. Glad to hear he's doing better in that department!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
New rooster is deceased. Raccoon. *sigh* He was in a big dog kennel in the pole shed for a week of quarantine and to monitor recovering from having his spurs removed. He stuck his head out and the raccoon... yeah.. you connect the dots there. :rant

DH had been baiting live traps with marshmallows. I've been telling him he's crazy, but his brother swears by it. He's baiting them with chicken parts for tonight.

Latest posts