Daydreaming while waiting impatiently!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Hope you get him. That must be so discouraging.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Live traps set, game camera on them. DH thinks the raccoon might be big enough to get the bait without setting off the trap. I'm setting up the incubator to try another hatch. Google tells me hens can lay fertile eggs for up to 3 months after mating. We have 16 chicks now 6 - 7 weeks old. I've never tried sexing chicks (even old ones), but I'd imagine there will be some roosters in that bunch?

We banded tails on the lambs. DH didn't think the bands looked right, so I really hope it works! I'm trying not to imagine all the icky things that could happen.

We're having a property line issue with a neighbor and will have to have our place surveyed. $8K+ :(

Last edited:

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Yeah, you should have some roosters in that batch.

Are the neighbor's splitting the cost of the survey?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I lost one of my best roosters last year. I gathered up every egg that the hens laid for about weeks and marked them. Mine were fertile longer than I thought they would be - but nowhere near 3 months....

Odds would say you'll have a rooster or 6 in the batch, lol!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
There's no hope of that neighbor splitting the cost. He shoots at people he perceives to be trespassing. He called the sheriff because DH went over and knocked on his door to see if they could walk the property line together and talk about it. The sheriff warned us to stay far away. Second sheriff to tell us the neighbor is not quite right.

I put 14 eggs in the incubator this morning. Some spent a day in the fridge so I'm not really hopeful for those. I'll keeping adding eggs as they are laid for the rest of the week. (maybe longer?)

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
DH bought a tractor at auction yesterday! He will drive it home tomorrow. He's daydreaming about all the things he will do with it. I might never see him again. ;)

Game camera and live traps have been a bust. The game camera has pictures of the cat, the chickens, and the dog. No predators came by the trap.

DH contacted a surveyor for a more precise quote. Some sides of our property have been surveyed, which reduces the cost of surveying for the remaining sides. The last quote was $1,200. DH decided to schedule it. He added another side so we can put in a line fence and a pasture fence. We have 20 acres of pasture unusable because the outermost fence is bad. We're considering approaching our Amish neighbors to see if any are interested in bartering fence work for a year of pasture rent. ... after we know where the property line is, of course!

Baby had a rough (gassy, screaming) night. DH and I were passing the baby back and forth. We're both tired today. I set baby down in the car seat this morning while I ate breakfast. He was a bit fussy, but not much. I laid a blanket over him and he fell asleep. What a relief! Too bad we have things to do today and I can't go back to bed!

DS8 has been having rough evenings after his medication has worn off. I'm planning to start giving his afternoon dose later to try to make evenings better without making sleep impossible for him. I was going to try the first time yesterday, but I fell asleep!

Work is good, but working for other people is hard! Having my performance evaluated by other people is the problem. I'm struggling with anxiety 2 days before the day I work and the day after. Nightmarish dreams and all. :( It's ridiculous because I KNOW my manager is VERY happy with my performance. They had 2 people working together, who produced 6 total "units" when working together. (Or 4 "units" working alone.) One of those people quit. The remaining person and I produce 12+ "units" when working together. Not only do I produce more than they're accustomed to, but I have knowledge/experience to get the other person working at a better rate also. I have therapy appointments scheduled starting next month to work on my perfectionism issues. I hope therapy works quickly.