Denim Deb Hay, hay, hay. Thank the Lord!

mrscoyote

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks Deb, Sorry the horses are being so bratty. I will definitely be trying your recipe. I wish I could make bread like my mom did. Hers was always so good.
Nancy

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I think I call Licorice Brat as much as I call her by name. And, she responds to both! :lol:

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Forecast highs for the next few days are 53, 58, 64, 65! Then after that, temps are supposed to drop and it could rain on Tuesday. Today, there's not really anything that I have to do. So, I'm going to get it all cleaned up around my tack shed so that on Monday I can paint! And, I found out where my step ladder may be. Found out that RU has one in an old trailer body she has. And, since it's near my tack shed, it would make sense that it's mine. I'll look today. If it is, I'm taking it out and hiding it!

After the tack shed is painted, I don't have anything else that I really have to do except maybe dig out some dock if I can and get rid of some mulberries and other small trees that are coming up where they don't belong. So, I'll FINALLY be able to start working w/horses!

Denim Deb

Reaction score
OK, my plans changed and basically, I did nothing I had planned on doing. KN had off work today-she drives a school bus. So, instead of doing any work, I hitched up my trailer, we loaded the horses on it and went for a ride at the wildlife management area. Temperature wise, it wasn't that bad out. And, the sun was out! For the first time in a couple of weeks, we had a sunny day! We had a good ride. I did more trotting than I've done in quite some time. Plus, we rode for over 2.5 hours! That's the longest I've ridden since my operation. And, I didn't feel like I was going to fall when I got down! So, I am getting my leg built back up. It's just taking longer than I wanted it to.

I did look for my ladder, and sure enough, it was in the trailer. So, I took it out. It's now leaning up against my tack shed on the far side. Tomorrow I'm thinking of putting it in w/my hay.

Speaking of hay, by my calculations, I should have had to start a new RB today. Well, I didn't have to. And, I have at least 2 more days of hay in the RB I'm working on! I started taking off this RB on the 30th. I still haven't figured out how much hay I need to put out since Honey isn't in there. They're not eating all that I put out. Then, they'll walk thru it and poop and pee in it. I told hubby that we have to get the RB feeder fixed tomorrow so I can get it out there. Then, I'll get all the loose hay cleaned up and see if I can figure out how much I need to put out every day. I need to talk to one of the other boarders. She wanted to know about getting some RBs. I might offer to sell her a couple. I have a pretty good idea that I'm not going to need all the RBs I have ordered.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Well, the snow is all gone. And, it's warm out! I don't even have a fire going! Only problem w/the weather is that it happened on a Saturday. Since hubby was home, I knew I wouldn't get as much done.

But, I did clean up a bunch of hay that the horses weren't eating, stuff that they had instead pooped and peed in. I dumped it over the fence into the area RU wants to use as a garden. Right now, there's some donkeys in there, so I know they'll pick thru it.

And, I worked some in my garden. I would have had more done, but hubby came home. And, he was FINALLY ready to give me a welding lesson by fixing my RB feeder. We get to looking at the feeder and realize that when the horses broke the legs off, they messed up the bottom. In order to put the legs back on, it would be a major job. So instead, we cut off the one remaining leg. :lol: Then, he was showing me how to weld the one top section they bent. Only problem being, I couldn't really see anything thru the shield. And, I couldn't adjust the welding helmet small enough, so it was hurting my head. There's holes in the bottom of 2 sections, and he isn't quite sure how he's going to go about fixing them, so that was all we did for the day.

Once that was done, I went back out to the farm. I had to feed RU's horses since she was away. I wasn't looking forward to it. Now that Honey's over there, I was afraid I'd have trouble keeping her out. But, w/the way she had the gate to the barn closed, Honey was able to get into a stall-but not into the barn. So, to keep her in there while I let the rest of the horses into the barn, I gave her a couple of handfuls of grain, then opened the gate and let the rest of the horses in. Once they were in, I shut the gate. It worked perfectly! Of course, when the horses were all done eating and I opened the gate to chase them out, she got in, but there was nothing left in any of the buckets. I got the horses chased out, closed the gate and was able to leave.

Now I'm home just chilling. I would have loved to have stayed out at the farm, made a fire and just sat back and relaxed but I have to get up in the morning, so I didn't.

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I wish my DH would give me a welding lesson! He has zero patience for teaching things, and I usually end up with my feelings hurt, yelling at him that I'm not one of his laborers, then storming off :p I've found watching him closely, then joining in to help without questions works best, but I can't do that with welding :/ I just need to find a non crab apple teacher I guess :lol:

Denim Deb

Reaction score
That's normally how it is when he's teaching me anything. This is one of the few times he didn't. I think it's because his back is starting to bother him more and more so the more I know how to do, the less he has to do. :/ I get good enough and I'll finally get both of my horse trailers fixed. Then I might start to look for older trailers that need body work, fix them up and flip them. :cool:

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Today was a good day! I didn't get a lot of things done, but what I did get done was time consuming.

First off, I finally got my tack shed almost 100% painted! I thought I had a paint brush in my tack shed, but didn't. So, I couldn't get in the crevices in the wood. (Fake T 111) That took a lot longer than I had planned, but it's done! It looks much better, but I think I still need one more coat on it, but that can wait.

I also was able to get back in my field w/my tractor, so I got it cleaned again. I took out 3 cart loads. There wouldn't have been so much if they weren't pooping and peeing in the hay. There's still some hay I want to clean up, but that will have to wait for a few days.

By the time I got this done, had everyone put away and fed, it was about 3:30. And, I had left the house at 9:15! So, I went home. Got the animals fed and hubby got home. I found my son's welding helmet. I could adjust that small enough, and could see w/that one on! So, hubby finished welding the RB feeder. And, I was able to see what he was doing. He was using a mig welder and told me a bit about how to use it. But, he wants me to start welding with the stick welder, so I didn't get to do any welding.

The RB feeder is now in the back of my truck. I checked out the frame work for my hay shelter. And, there's enough good pieces so that I can make a smaller one. And, since I don't need to store a lot of hay in it, that will work. So, I loaded the pieces in my truck as well. Both of those will go out to the farm tomorrow. It's supposed to rain so I won't be able to do anything w/them tomorrow except unload them. But at least they'll be there.

I started to cut up wood. I had told him that I needed the chain sharpened. He ignored me. Then he saw how much trouble I was having cutting. So he told me I can't cut any more wood until it's sharpened. He's going to have to teach me how to sharpen it. I can't wait on him.

So, I just brought in some wood. By this time, it was already dark. So, now I'm sitting in the house relaxing.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Woke up this morning to rain. They were calling for it, but I was really hoping they were wrong. I still need to get some square bales of hay and wanted to go to the hay auction today. Didn't even attempt it. If it's dry next week, I'll go then-I just wouldn't be able to take it to the farm right away since I have my appointments. Did some cleaning and washed a load of sheets. I was hoping it would clear up early enough so I could hang them out on the line. Well, it didn't, so I had to throw them in the dryer. But, I needed clean sheets, so I didn't have a choice. :(

Got out to the farm and got everyone fed. Misty was shivering, so I blanketed everybody. Then, since I had no desire to get wet, I decided to do some cleaning in my tack shed. Yesterday I kind of tore it up in there when I was trying to find what I needed for painting. Plus, I had tracked some mud in B4 and it had dried, so I wanted to sweep the floor. B4 I fed, I had turned on my heater, so it was warm in there. When I bag feed for the horses, I weigh it out. That way, I know for sure how much each horse is getting and I know they're getting the same amount every day. So, I'm moving stuff around near the scale so I can sweep up there. And, what do I see right next to the scale? My paint brush! If it was a snake, it would have bit me!

Did as much as I could, and the rain was really coming down. So I decided to take a nap. Cindy liked that idea. Right about when I was thinking of getting up, she decided to jump up on me! I sleep on my side, and that's where she got. I'm glad she was comfortable. I wasn't really. :/

By the time I did get up, it had stopped raining. So, I was able to get the stuff out of the back of my truck, get all my trash in the back and leave. Went to the feed store, TSC and the grocery store. They had turkeys on sale for $0.59/lb if you bought $25.00 worth of other stuff. So, I got a few things as well as my turkey.

Came home, got the animals fed, brought in some wood, got the fire going, did some dishes and made dinner. Now I'm sitting back relaxing. I may just go to bed early. For some reason, I'm really tired.