Denim Deb Hay, hay, hay. Thank the Lord!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I was so tired I got to bed B4 7:30-and didn't want to get up when my alarm went off at 5:00! I'm not doing a whole lot out at the farm today. I'm doing some volunteering at the Nature Center today, then going back, giving Stormy his 2nd feeding, then going home and working in the garden for a bit. I'm hoping I can get to bed waaaay early again tonight. I'm so looking forward to Saturday since I can sleep in.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
For the first time in years, I have a garden! Because of the frost and being so tired last night I didn't work in my garden. So, for once, I went past my stopping time. Since I'm trying to plant as much as I can by the moon phases, I had a TON of stuff to do tonight. My squash, melons, cukes and corn are going to be planted in the same area I planted my peas. I haven't touched that area since I planted them, and had a bunch of weeds coming up, I had to pull the weeds first. I had been going to do that on Monday. Then, I was going to get the posts in for my trellises. Well, I got the area all weeded, but didn't bother w/the trellises. I figure they can go in later. But, I have all my squash, melons and cukes in as well as my first planting of corn in! It took me until about 8:00, but they're in. We might get some rain tonight. If we don't, I'll water everything in the morning.

Tomorrow, even though I didn't plan to, I need to work on my rhubarb and asparagus area. I hadn't planned on doing that until next week, but w/the way hubby's talking, I'd better get it done B4 Saturday. I had planned on getting old leaves, hay, etc every place I could in the garden, but that will have to wait until next week. Other than seeding my field, I don't think there's anything I need to plant next week, but I'll be double checking to make sure.

mrscoyote

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wish I could grow rhubarb and asparagus down here. From what I have read it would be an uphill battle.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Way to go, Deb! Sounds like progress to me! I can't wait to be able to put a garden in!!

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It feels good to get the garden going even when it makes you bone tired. Sometimes you just have to get your hands in the dirt. :thumbsup

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Today was a hot one! And, it's STILL hot out! It didn't look too good out there this morning, so I decided not to do laundry until I got home this afternoon. So, it was just B4 4:00 pm B4 I got sheets out on the line. They dried in less than an hour! :ep And, it's a good thing I checked to be sure hubby had a shirt for work tomorrow. he didn't, so I washed another load. I put one on a hanger and left it in the house, the other rest are out on the line. So, I don't have to wash any clothes tomorrow.

I did some work in my asparagus, and found the last row! I don't know how many roots are still there, but at least I know where to dig come fall.

In other news, my ankle has started to hurt again. If it doesn't clear up soon, I'm going to have to go and have it looked at. I hope I didn't break something. :hit

Apriestype

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I just wanted to say hello. For some time I wanted to register on this forum and finally I did it.
PS. I hope this is the right forum.
PPS. Sorry for my english. It was not until I learn the language.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
:welcome Tell us more about yourself, where you're from, etc. And, don't worry about your English. Even those of us who speak the language have trouble w/it. :lol:

My ankle still hurts, but not as bad today. So, I'll strap it up again.

Yesterday because of the weather, I took my truck instead of the bike. And, since I had the truck, I went ahead and took some old garden fence out w/me. I don't know that I have enough, but I'll be putting it up along the riding arena to keep my chickens out of there. They get into there and from there they're able to get into CL's field, and then the whole farm! I'll be spending some time today working on that. And, here's why.

It was getting time for me to leave. So, I go to round up my chickens. I had one that was in the parking area and still can't figure out how to get past the RB. She wasn't too much of a problem. The one that was was in CL's field. You could tell she wanted in, so I walked over and opened the gate between the 2 fields. Well, not only did she NOT come in, but Licky took this as an invitation to get out-and Misty followed her. :somad This part of the field is a narrow aisle that leads to the run it. There's a gate at the far end which means the horses can be kept in there for just in case, or if the stupid ram gets in the field, I can close him out when I feed. Otherwise, he chases the horses off their feed. I ran down the aisle hoping to get there B4 the horses so I could lock them in. No such luck.

I decide I'm going to go after the chicken first. She ducks thru a gate on the other side-into the area where KN's horse is. I try to get around her to herd her back where she belongs. She's having none of it and runs the other direction. I was afraid if I went after her more, I'd chase her thru the far fence into the yard and didn't want that. So, I left her for then and went after the horses.

Of course, Stormy is all upset and calling for Misty. I start walking towards her, and she goes running. But, at least she ran into the aisle. I quickly shut the gate. I didn't need Stormy to get out as well and be in CL's field. Then I walk up to my gate, open that, and Misty goes in my field. Walk back down, open that gate again, and go after Licky. Of course, she has to act up and not let me catch her. Didn't take too long B4 she decided to stop fooling around, and I was able to walk up to her and lead her back where she belonged. And, I closed the aisle way gate behind her.

Now I had all the horses back, but STILL didn't have the chicken. By now, she's back in w/KN's horse and wants to get in where she belongs. So, I go back in that field, and try to herd her thru. And of course, she wants to go everywhere but where she belongs. I finally end up opening the gate from that field. Even if KN's horse had gotten out, she wouldn't have been able to go far. The chicken finally decides she can go thru the gate. I was then able to get her to go into my field, and finally get her in where she belongs.

Made sure the aisle way gate was opened and the rest were closed and secured and was able to leave. So, this morning I'm going to work w/Stormy for a bit-then work on getting that fencing done. Hopefully I won't have to play chicken chase anymore.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
I didn't want to leave the house this morning. It was a nice day out, and I would have loved to have stayed at home and work on the garden and the house. So, I left later than I'd planned to. I figured I wouldn't get everything done, but I wanted to at least get the field mowed and work Stormy in the RP. I got there, got everyone fed, put the battery in my cart and was able to dump the manure. Once that was done, I cleaned up the field, then put Stormy in the RP. He did good! I couldn't tell you when the last time was that I actually worked all 3 horses in 1 week!

I got the electric all taken down, then started the mower. And, at first everything was going well. Then, the mower started to sputter and cough. It finally stopped running. :rant I'd let the mower sit for a bit, then try again. But, I couldn't get it to stay running. So, I finally gave up. But, I managed to get the electric all tangled up. And, it took me a long time to get it all untangled and back in place. By this time, it was getting late. So, I decided to quit for the day. I'll be working on the fence next week instead.

Hubby had to work overtime tonight. He also has to work tomorrow and Sunday, so that means he's not fixing the rototiller. So, I've decided that instead of worrying about the field, I'm going to wait until fall. Then, I'm going to do the 2 sections I wanted to, and leave the horses on just 1 section for the winter. Come spring, I'll let them have those 2 sections while I get the last section redone. I think doing it this way will make my life easier.

I got more of the asparagus patch cleaned up. I worked on that row I found yesterday. I didn't really find much more, but at least, if there's anything still there, it can come up now w/out having all the weeds in the way!

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Well, hubby's left for work, so I'll actually be able to get some stuff done this morning. Normally, I can't get much done on a Saturday cuz I'm tripping over him!