Denim Deb Hay, hay, hay. Thank the Lord!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Today is going to be a beautiful day! I just wish I didn't have my appointments. I feel well rested, and could get a ton done out there, especially since we don't have Bible study today. I will get done what I can-including putting on the rest of the good tarp for the hay shelter. Then I can get the 2x4s I need today, and as soon as I have the chance to do so, put them on and finish it. When I took the tarp off yesterday, I was happy to see that the hay looked good. So I think it will store well in there for the winter. Hubby's left for work so I need to get moving. My list for today is:

1. Laundry
2. Housework
3. Pick up fire ring, etc from church then go to gas station
4. Normal farm chores
5. Hay shelter
6. Appointments
7. Errands
8. Feed animals
9. Firewood
10. Yard/garden/orchard
11. Dishes

OK, that's enough for today. I'd better get started.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
There's just not enough hours during the day. Plus since the time change, it just gets dark too early. It's foggy now, and don't know how long it will be B4 that burns off, but want to leave early. I have my lesson today, then work. So, my list for today is:

1. Housework
2. Laundry
3. Normal farm chores
4. Lesson
5. Work
6. Goat pen
7. Feed animals
8. Firewood
9. Yard/garden/orchard
10. Dishes

Guess that's enough for today.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Hope your lesson goes well! It started out foggy but that is burning off now and they said it's supposed to be windy. Hope it doesn't bother you!

Denim Deb

Reaction score
I did not get everything done today. We had really heavy fog this morning, so I left later than I'd planned. I was hoping that the fog would burn off since I didn't want to try and ride Misty in the woods in a fog. I wasn't sure how she'd react. Called my instructor (EH) up, and we decided to do some work first. The vet was supposed to be coming out at 1:30, so I was going to run back to the farm then and get her. (It's only 4 miles to the farm) Well, the vet didn't come. She had a colic to deal with. So we worked even longer, then I went and got Misty and had a semi private lesson instead. We both did good. I'm getting better and better all the time about keeping my heels down. And I was glad to see that the person I had my lesson w/is also struggling w/most of the same things.

But since i had my lesson so late, I got back to the farm late. By the time I was able to leave, it was getting dark. I got home, and fed animals, but other than firewood, wasn't able to do any work outside. And I wouldn't have done the wood if I hadn't needed it for tonight. The temp is dropping and tomorrow is going to be colder.

I'm beat and hope I can get to bed by around 9:00. I want to relax on the computer for a bit longer B4 heading to bed.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
They're calling for some rain starting at some time this afternoon or evening, so I need to get stuff done early. And they're calling for more rain on Monday! I'm glad I have the sheets for the horses now. It's not quite cold enough for blankets. I've been putting the sheets on them when we've been getting these cold, fall rains, and have not seen anyone shivering, so that's good. So since I have rain hanging over my head, I'd better get going and get out of here. So my list for today is:

1. Laundry
2. Clean fridge (it really needs it!)
3. Normal farm chores
4. Get rid of part of Mt. Manure-have a friend that wants it. They have no truck but will pay for gas for me to bring it over
5. Get mulch for EH-I'll have the dump thing in my bed, so might as well do this as well
6. Clean field and spread manure
7. Goat pen
8. Yard/garden/orchard
9. Feed animals
10. Firewood
11. Dishes
12. Housework

Hopefully I get all the outside stuff done B4 it rains.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
I had too much on my list for today! And, there was just no way I could get it all done. I got part of the field cleaned, but not all of it. I had planned on doing it after getting back to the farm. Well, it was a lot later than I'd planned when I got back. I wanted to take home a load of manure, so I got that loaded as quick as I could, then parked the tractor and took the truck out of the field. After that, I just barely had enough time to get Stormy fed, get hay out, get sheets on the horses and take care of the chickens B4 it started raining. And Misty was a pain! I went to catch her and she wouldn't let me. I think she thought I was going to ride her or work w/her and she wanted none of that. So of course, since she was so hard to catch, Licorice was as well. But since I needed to get going, I just grabbed some feed and shook it. She let me catch her w/no problem.

By the time I got home, it was almost dark. I was afraid that my laundry would be wet, but it wasn't. So I got that down and got the animals fed. By the time I got done, it was dark and I STILL had to do firewood. I was able to get enough done for overnight. Then I got dishes washed, put clean sheets on the bed and made dinner. The manure is still in the back of my truck, and it will stay there for overnight. It's going to be too cold to ride tomorrow, so I'm hoping I can get another load of manure home.

I've eaten dinner and gotten a shower. Now I'm relaxing for a bit B4 heading for bed.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
I was NOT happy when I looked out my window last night B4 heading to bed. It was snowing! I'm going to have to get Misty's blanket fixed B4 I head out to the farm on Sunday. Stormy's new blanket should be here today. They're calling for more rain on Monday, then the temps are supposed to drop. So on Sunday, I want to give everyone a good grooming, and put their blankets on them. It's supposed to be colder than normal for a few days. Tuesday is only going to be in the 30s-way below normal for this time of year. I'm glad that I have Bible study then. I may or may not go to the hay auction, it's going to depend on how it actually feels outside, though I should go.

W/this cold snap, I really need to concentrate on getting stuff done outside ready for winter. Last year, we got snow the beginning of December-way earlier than normal. And it never really warmed up after that until late in March. I have so much I want to get done outside. It's too cold for now to ride the bike, so I'm going to try to leave earlier since I won't need to wait for it to warm up. That way, I'll be able to leave for home earlier and hopefully get more done outside. We didn't get a whole lot of snow, so I expect it to melt pretty quickly, so I should be able to get another load as well. So my list for today is:

1. Laundry
2. Housework
3. Unload manure
4. Normal farm chores
5. Finish cleaning field and spread manure
6. If it's not too windy, finish hay shelter
7. Clean chicken house
8. Get another load of manure
9. Goat pen
10. Yard/garden/orchard
11. Firewood
12. Dishes

That's enough for today. I need to think about getting started.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
We got a dusting last night too. It's mostly gone this morning, but still hanging around in a few spots. Crazy, I've never seen it snow this early!
Hope you get everything caught up. I'm not thrilled about this cold snap either.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We had "gropple" earlier this week- think it was Tuesday or Wednesday. For those that don't know, gropple is snow that partially melts, then freezes again before it hits the ground. It looks a lot like hail but it's technically snow.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Earliest we've had snow was in October. But at least that's rare. And they're not calling for any more for awhile that I know of.

I'm beat. Today was colder than normal and windy to boot. And, I spent much of the day outside. I wasn't able to work on the hay shelter-it was just too windy. And I had fun spreading the manure. This mower has a ball hitch on it. Hubby forgot about it and I can't get it off. So, I have to tie the spreader on the mower. I didn't do that good of a job of it, so it wasn't staying in place. I don't know if that was why it wouldn't spread or what. I finally gave up and just dumped it.

We have another system moving in for Monday. Then the temps are going to drop. I put the rain sheets on the horses yesterday, but want to get their blankets on instead. Misty's still needs to be repaired. I ordered a new one for Stormy, but it hadn't gotten there yet. So that meant the only blanket I had was for Licorice. So, I groomed her and put her's on her. Stormy's came late this afternoon, so I'll do his tomorrow. And I'll finish repairing Misty's tomorrow, and get that on her on Sunday.

I elected not to work on the goat pen today. Instead, I went in the garden and worked on weeding part of where I had tomatoes. Then I worked on firewood. My goal is to have the wood holder in the basement full tomorrow. I won't be able to work on wood for a couple of days, and don't want to have to take out any that I have in the wood shed unless I really have to.

Got done the wood and came in and did dishes. I'm almost caught up w/them again.

I don't know if I'm going to be up much longer. I'm really tired.