Denim Deb Hay, hay, hay. Thank the Lord!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Didn't do much at all today. I did the dishes and normal animal chores, then I did a bit in the garden and the wood. I'm not doing the bread tonight though. Hubby has to get up early, and I don't want to accidentally keep him up.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Hubby had to leave for work way early today, and he'll be working late. So that means I should get done more than usual. I already have a loaf of chocolate chip banana bread in the oven to give the farrier. And since it's going to be warm out, I can ride the bike. Plus, I can also finally get the field all cleaned up and finish the hay shelter. I don't think I'll be able to take the mower thru CL's field, so that means I have to go down the lane, then hug the edge neighbor's field at one point since there's still piles of dirt in the lane, but at least I should be able to get it done. I can also get the chicken waterers scrubbed and refilled as well as my tank. Once my tank is full, I'll be draining the hose and only pulling it out when I need it. I'd love to have one of the lightweight ones. It would make my life so much easier.

Since hubby's working late, I'm hoping I can get a lot done. I'm hoping I can work outside until it starts getting dark, then turn on the light and do firewood. They're calling for more wet weather tonight, so I want the wood holder in the basement filled. Plus, I want access to the woodshed so I can work on getting that full as well. Then, when we have bad weather, I can grab wood out of there if need be.

Since I'll be getting to the farm so early, I want to groom all the horses as well, and maybe ride Misty. The horses are all naked right now, but I may need to put their blankets back on tomorrow. So, I need to get busy so I can get a lot done. So, my list for today is:

1. Bake banana bread (it's baking)
2. Housework
3. Normal farm chores
4. Finish hay shelter
5. Clean field and spread manure
6. Farrier
7. Groom all the horses
8. Waterer and tank
9. Ride Misty
10. Goat pen
11. Feed animals
12. Garden
13. Wood
14. Laundry
15. Dishes

I get all of that done, I should sleep good tonight! I need to get started.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
I had a good day. I didn't get done quite as much as I wanted, but still got a lot done. It didn't start good. First my banana bread rose really high, and spilled out in the oven. Then, it took forever to cook. And, when I went to take it out of the pan, it stuck! It ended up breaking, but I couldn't do anything about it except put it back together and hope for the best.

I get to the farm, get the horses all fed, then groomed them all. Then I got started on cleaning the field. Farrier called and told me that he was running late. So, I took the time to run the spreader. I started filling it again, but didn't finish B4 the farrier got there. He got all of them done, and didn't mind that the bread broke. I don't even know if it made it to his house. After he left, he called me. He wanted me to know that he was really enjoying the bread.

Got the spreader filled the rest of the way and spread it. But, since it was taking awhile to fill it and since I was tired of shoveling poop, I decided that I had gotten enough cleaned up for the day. I'll fill it up 2x on Thursday, and hope that that will do it. If not, I'll do another 2 loads on Monday-weather permitting.

Stormy wanted to eat, but I hadn't done anything w/Misty. I thought about not riding her, but I put her last too often. I figured that even if I just got 10 minutes in, it was better than nothing. So, I got my tack, and new helmet and carried it over to the riding arena, then grabbed Misty and took her in the riding arena. Got her tacked up, and mounted her. Last time I rode her in there, I was constantly fighting w/her to get her to listen to me. Plus, she was spooking. Today the only problem I had w/her was that she started to move B4 I was seated. So, we'll be working on that. But other than that, she listened to me completely! It was great! Taking these lessons is really paying off!

Took her back, got her untacked, then got Stormy fed. While he was eating, I bagged feed, put out hay and did the waterer and the tank. Stormy got done eating B4 I was done everything so I let him back in the field, then drained the hose. It's now coiled and sitting on my cart. I'm not sure where I'm putting it.

I also worked on the hay shelter. I couldn't finish it cuz I didn't have my saw. But, other than putting a few boards on and the doors, it's done! I'm still not quite sure how to do them, but have an idea of how to do it.

I left a lot later than I'd planned, but figured I'd still be able to get stuff done at home. Did some more cleaning in the goat pen, fed them, the chickens and the bunny and started in the garden. I got quite a bit done in there, then I went in the greenhouse and did just a bit in there. I hope I can do some more in there tomorrow afternoon.

I started working on the wood, but wasn't able to finish. It started to rain! But, I got half of the wood holder in the basement filled. I also did some housework, made dinner, did dishes, and ironed some shirts. I'm tired now, but it's a good tired. I should sleep good tonight.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Once again, it's a rainy day. And, I think I heard some sleet mixing in. I had thought about going to the hay auction, but that's not going to happen. Probably just as well since I need to buy more feed plus have the equine dentist coming on Friday. Combine that w/the farrier, and my account is pretty much empty.

Since it's another rainy day, I'm hoping I can get a ton done inside. Plus, I'm hoping to work in the greenhouse. I have a ton of stuff coming up that doesn't belong in there-like honeysuckle! So, since I can't do any other work outside, I'm hoping to spend quite a bit of time in there. Then, as soon as I can figure out how to heat it, I can get stuff going! I have some potatoes that are spouting in a container in my basement, I'd really like to move them out of the house and I'd like to get some stuff planted.

I'm glad that it decided to rain today instead of tomorrow like they had originally said. Since I have Bible study today, it means I won't be sitting around the farm doing nothing. Plus, I have my lesson tomorrow. And since I didn't have one last week, I'm looking forward to it.

Getting started today is a bit hard because of the weather. I'd rather just sit around and relax, but can't do that. Plus, it's about 20 degrees colder now than it was at this time yesterday, so I had to make a fire this morning. But as much as I hate to get started, I really need to. I have a lot I want to get done today-including a ton of housework. Plus, I'm going out for dinner tonight w/CMA. I just wish they didn't pick a place that was so far away. The only good thing about it is, I have to go past the gas station where I can get the cheap gas, so I'll be filling up. So my list for today is:

1. Housework
2. Normal farm chores
3. Put blankets on the horses and hang hay nets in the run in
4. Bible study
5. Work in greenhouse
6. Feed animals
7. Laundry
8. Go out to dinner

This list doesn't look long, but I should be able to see a big difference in the house by the time I go to bed.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Sounds like you've been making lots of progress!
We have wet with a mix of white this morning too. This yoyo weather is tough to deal with! Last week I had to put away 7 jackets that were piled on the chair because I had worn them all in the last 4 days!

Denim Deb

Reaction score
I'm getting there. And, we had some sleet this morning as well. I heard it hitting the windows when I got up. When I left the house, I was seeing it all in the gully's of the house roofs.

I had to get on cuz I needed to check to see what all I still have to do. And, other than cleaning the bathroom, doing some laundry and going out, I'm done.

I didn't get as much done in the greenhouse as I wanted. I didn't realize that some of what I have coming thru in there has stickers, and I wasn't wearing leather gloves. So, I did what I could, and threw it to the goats. And, I also found a tear in the plastic, so I'm going to have to replace that. I'll be spending as much time as I can working on that and the gardens. As long as I can keep ahead on the wood, I'm not as concerned about that since I can do that after the ground freezes and stays frozen. The gardens need to be done B4 then, and I want my greenhouse up and running.

I was looking on line and found some property that I'm trying to get more info on. http://www.landwatch.com/Salem-County-N ... /308564775 I've talked to the agent, and he'll be sending me some info, including a map of the property. I have a pretty good idea where it is, so we'll see.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Ohh nice on the property! Good luck with that idea! I can't decide if starting from scratch is the best idea or if starting with a property where there is already some infrastructure is better.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
And the price isn't bad, so we'll see. I could do so much w/that. And, I'd even have some woods to ride in, even though it wouldn't be that big an area. But, it's better than what I have now, so we'll see.

Found out from hubby that we must have gotten some snow. He said there was about 2" of slush on some of the roads when he left for work this morning.

Got my whole list done. I'm winding down, and will be going to bed soon.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
It's wet out there as well as foggy in places. And, I'm supposed to have a lesson. I don't know if that's going to happen or not. I hope so. And, they're calling for more rain on Saturday! I had hoped to get rid of the rest of Mt. Manure this week, but it's just going to be too wet. And I don't know if I'll be able to clean more of my field or not. But at least it's not snow.

I may have to take wood out of my woodshed. I had hoped to cover the pile B4 it started to rain on Monday, but it started earlier than I was expecting. So, I'm almost out of wood in the house, and don't have much dry stuff to cut. All this rain is making it hard for me to do stuff outside. At least I'm getting stuff done inside.

Hubby worked late again last night, and left early this morning. I don't know if he's working late tonight or not. In a way I hope he is. I'll be able to get more done. I'm hoping I can get some done this morning, so I probably ought to get started. So, my list for today is:

1. Housework
2. Normal farm chores
3. Lesson
4. Work
5. Hay shelter
6. Goat pen
7. Feed animals
8. Greenhouse
9. Firewood-if I can find some dry to cut
10. Make dinner
11. Apples
12. Dishes

Normally I'd be doing the trash and recyclables today as well, but hubby took them out yesterday. Guess I ought to get started.