Denim Deb Hay, hay, hay. Thank the Lord!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Other than dishes, I got everything done on my list, but it took longer than I was expecting. It rained overnight. I wasn't expecting it and it made my field pretty wet. There was just no way that I could use the spreader, so that left the cart. Only problem being, the cart was full from when I cleaned up the parking area on Tuesday. Some of the branches that I had in there were falling out, so I had to cut them up a bit more and put them back in. I was hoping I could still get thru CL's field into the back w/no problem. Well, I got stuck. I had to drop the cart in order to get out and had to keep shifting from forward to reverse to do it. I finally got unstuck, dragged the cart to the mower, hooked it back up and went and dumped it. I was hoping if I stayed over to the one side a bit farther I could get thru w/out getting stuck again. It didn't work.

By that point in time I was kind of muddy to say nothing about being hot and disgusted. But I still needed to clean the field. There's a gate from the parking area into CL's field. So I checked that out and figured I could probably make it thru that gate. I got the field all cleaned up and tried it. It worked! So I went and dumped the cart.

W/the cart dumped, I did the clean up that I wanted to do in the parking area and around my shed. I also took down the wire I use to divide my field and hooked it at both ends to the fence. Then I mowed my field and the parking area the best I could. It's not 100% the way it should be, but it's much better.

When I went to put the wire up on the next section I found out that one of the horses knocked down the insulator for the wire off the post in my field. And I don't have more nails the right size. Plus I couldn't find my hammer to try and straighten out the nail I had. I finally went and borrowed one of RUs. But I couldn't really get the nail straight. I put it up the best I could then put the wire up.

My field looked much better today. Areas that had no grass are starting to fill in. I'm seeing more grass in the rest of the field. I did see more dock today, but I think that's because of all the rain we've had. When I first got my horses in this field, it was basically all weeds w/just a little bit of grass. And the main weed was spiny pig weed! I've mowed, limed and seeded and am seeing a difference. I'm wondering how it's going to look next year. It looks the best it's ever looked.

I also worked on the chicken house. The one problem I had was I didn't have enough of an angle for the lid over the nesting boxes. I fixed that, but that means that the sides have a gap in them. I didn't have time to do anything else about that. I don't know if I'm going to cut new sides, or just try to patch it. I might go ahead and do new sides. I used thinner wood on the sides and have thought that I should have probably used the thicker, so I'll probably go ahead and make new sides.

All this took so much time that I left the farm much later than I wanted to. And when I got home, hubby was already home. I didn't feel like doing anything else, but finally went out and started working on the garden. I had the chicks out w/me and gave them some worms. They were so funny w/them. It won't be too much longer B4 I take them out to the farm. W/the garden weeded, I took them in the house then started to pick peas. Next thing I knew, a few raindrops started to fall. I had washed the horses' rain sheets today and had them over the deck rail. I didn't want them to get wet, so I stopped picking peas and went and got them off the line and in the house. I started working on the peas again but it started raining even harder! I had to give up. It poured. So I figured I had done enough for today.

Now I'm taking it easy and thinking about bed. Only problem being, I'm not tired.

Attachments

• upload_2015-6-19_21-58-23.png
    upload_2015-6-19_21-58-23.png
    380.5 KB · Views: 185

Denim Deb

Reaction score
And I'm glad I got done it yesterday! I don't know what all I'm getting done today. It's raining again. It wasn't supposed to be this early. I was going to do laundry, but now the forecast is just too iffy. I hope I have enough clothes to last until Monday. RU is still away, so I need to get hay out. I'm putting it out even for horses that aren't quite done w/their hay. I won't be ale to tomorrow, and CL is going to help me today.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Didn't get a whole lot done today. I was tired, so I took a nap. When I got up, I ran out to the farm and put hay out, filled some stock tanks up, fed, took care of animals and came home. At home, I fed the goats and picked peas. It's raining again, so I didn't do anything else outside and just don't feel like doing anything inside. At least they've changed the forecast. It's not going to be as wet as they were calling for. I'll go to the farm early tomorrow and feed my guys B4 church. And by the time I need to give Stormy his 2nd feeding, the rain should be gone.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
It didn't give us a complete pass. We had some nasty T storms overnight and it's knocked our power out. But it looks like the storm is done. I'm glad I don't have eggs in the incubator. I'm waiting for it to get a bit later and lighter out, then I'll head to the farm and feed. Hopefully by the time I get back we'll have power. Otherwise I don't get a shower B4 church.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ugh - Bill - the storm that keeps on giving! Sorry you don't have power. Sounds like your area got more effects from the storm than we did near the coast!

Denim Deb

Reaction score
We got power back, so I was able to get my shower. I just didn't get enough sleep! Think I'll take a nap.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Today and tomorrow are going to be horrible! It's going to be in the 90s w/high humidity. And I have a lot to get done today. Hubby's left for work and I need to get busy. So here's my list for today:

1. Dishes
2. Laundry
3. Housework
4. Normal farm chores
5. Clean field
6. Chicken area
7. Work w/horses
8. Yard/garden/orchard
9. Normal animal chores

I need to get busy. I want to get done while it's still cooler out.