Denim Deb Hay, hay, hay. Thank the Lord!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So, you have a list -- in "my world" getting something done is an achievement and better than those days when we just can't seem to have that. I try to get something done each day that I am able to devote it to my farm. Often there are 2 lists -- one which requires a lot of time, effort, help, etc. and one that can be done with less effort. Then I don't have to beat myself up. I cleaned & mowed a small pasture in 2 phases -- mowing and sweeping it up! -- Feel real good about it being done even if it was over a 2 day period :cool: The stallion in there is 30 y/o, so doesn't have jaw teeth to fully eat some grasses. The goats go in to help but, ultimately it needed total cut for Fall. Now done.
HUGE pile to burn from this AM sweeping but, now raining, so that will happen in a few days. Not an issue. Goaties also cleaned up the honeysuckle and some volunteer trees on the fence :celebrate so I will cut the dead vines and add to burn pile, then can see the fence!! Need couple repairs, will do.

You have the disadvantage of being at a farm that isn't your residence and I think you are doing great! Especially since it seems YOU are doing a lot of work that others may need to be doing or helping to do. Such is life, right? If you ever want to move call me:celebrate Have room and a little clean-up to do.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I think you're a bit too far away. I ever move my horses again, it will be because I have my own farm. But at least w/where I am now, I'm more relaxed. I'm still feeding horses for other people, but it's much easier to do.

Today was not the day that they forecasted for. There was supposed to be just a slight chance of showers. By the time my niece, BW, and I were ready to leave the farm, it was trying to rain a bit. By the time we got the fencing and got to Lowes, it was raining pretty steadily. I decided not to get the OSB since I didn't want it to get soaked. But, I got the plywood I needed.

We then headed to the farm and dropped all of that off. There's an old shed that needs to be torn down. For now, it made a good place to put the sheets of plywood. Then we headed to the lady that I buy the plywood bins off of. If I don't need a solid sheet, it's so much cheaper to buy these. The only reason I bought the sheets of plywood is because I want them for the floor of the chicken houses and the plywood from the bins is too short. W/that wood all loaded up, we headed to my house and got the gates and checked the forecast. They had changed it to rain! Then, we headed for some lunch, then the farm.

KN helped me unload all the wood and the gates. I don't think BW would have been able to. Then, KN threw her up on Honey. Honey had no tack on, but she just wandered around the field a bit. BW was thrilled. It was just too late and too wet to do anything else. But, at least I have supplies at the farm now. On Monday, I hope to get the hay stall all cleaned out. Then I can work on the wall for that as well as the stalls. Until I get the stalls done, I can't have anyone else feed for me.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
I just hope we have good weather next week. I did see that we might get some rain on Thursday, so what I may do is get stuff all cleaned out on Monday, then start the chicken area on Wednesday (I have my appointments on Tuesday), then on Thursday, I can work on the run-in. I'd be able to do that in the rain since, except for when I need to grab some wood, I'd be inside. Then on Friday, I could hopefully start on the chicken houses. I'd get as far as I could and hopefully finish them up the following week. Then I could get my chickens moved, and finally get everything cleaned up down the other end.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
It will make my life so much easier, especially once I get my tack shed moved. It will be finished this year, even if I have to do it myself. Then, I can have everything put away and have a warm, dry place when the weather is bad. Since it will be facing south, I'm thinking of putting up some 4x4s at the front, and putting some plastic up for some passive, solar heat.

goatgurl

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
isn't having a place to go and just be a grand thing. hope you get it all fixed up soon and that darn truck too. i hate being on foot.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
I haven't been on foot. It's over 10 miles to the farm and about 5 to church. But I hate driving his jeep. I want my truck back.

Other than feeding the animals and making myself a pot roast w/potatoes and onions, I didn't do much of anything. I'm glad I went to the farm fairly early. No one gave Stormy his lunch again. So, I waited around long enough to feed him 2x while I was there. Then I headed to church. I got there real early. No one else was even there. So, I let myself in, then played the piano for quite some time. I enjoyed it.

It's going to be colder tonight, so I got the fire going. I have a whole bunch of old 2x4s, etc. out at the farm. So I'm starting to bring them home little by little. It makes it much easier to start the fire and will be that much less that I need to clean up. I think I'm going to go to bed soon.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
I need to get busy! I have a lot planned for today.

First off, as long as they're still good, I'll be making my green tomato mince meat. Then I'll be doing some housework and some laundry. Once I get to the farm, I'll be cleaning my field some, then working on the hay stall. And, if I get home in time, I'll work some more on the lane. I need to get in the woods at some time this week so I can start bringing home more wood.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
I didn't get as much done as I wanted. There are just not enough hours in the day. I didn't do the tomatoes. I realized it would have taken me too long this morning. And by the time I got home, I was just too beat. So, I took the jars out of the dishwasher, and I'm running it.

I did get more of the hay stall cleaned out. I have at the most 1/3 of it left. I'll be working on it tomorrow. EH wants me to work on Wednesday. I need a break from what I've been doing, so I told her OK. And JT wants me to come to a different county park and ID some trees for her. So, since that park is near my allergist's, they have office hours Thursday morning, and they're calling for rain then, I decided I'd go to the chiropractor's tomorrow, then go to the allergist's on Thursday. My chiropractor is opening late tomorrow. So, by the time I would be able to get in and see him, then get back to the farm, it would be dark. So this works much better for me.