Denim Deb Hay, hay, hay. Thank the Lord!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I've been wanting 4 wheel drive for years! So we'll see. The only thing I'm not sure about on this truck is the back seat. I have a quad cab, and the back comes in handy for storing extra feed. This truck has an extended cab, so I'm not sure how big it is.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well, 4 wheel drive is great!! You can always put a container in the bed for extra feed. Most likely the extended area will be smaller -- but maybe still big enough!!

BIG plus -- it is running!!:ya

Hopefully you will love it. Lower that stress level, gal.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Today is going to be busy. I'm waiting for hubby to leave. Then, I'm going to clean my living room and finish the laundry I still need to fold or iron.

Then, I'll head to the farm. I need to clean my field, then I'm going to work on the pit. After Stormy is done his lunch, I'm heading home. Hubby is supposed to come home early so we can go and look at this truck. While I'm waiting for him to get home, I'm going to work on my goat/chicken house. And, I may do some work in the kitchen. He completely trashed it yesterday.

I'm hoping after we look at the truck that he'll come w/me back to the farm. I need to move something, and I'm not strong enough to do it. I had someone help me yesterday, but I don't think she quite understood what I was trying to do, so it didn't work. If hubby can help me get it moved, then that will make my hay stall usable. But, I'm not putting hay in it for now. They're calling for rain on Thursday. So, what I want to do is work on building my chicken houses in there. Then on Friday, I'll move them from there into my chicken area. If I can get the pit done today, I can get the fence up on Wednesday. I'd start building them on Thursday, and finish them (hopefully) on Friday. If I can have them painted on Friday, then on Saturday and Sunday, I can catch chickens and get them down back. And if I can have my chicken/goat house all done on Saturday, I can take them home then. W/that done, I could get the rest of the birds into my broody area, and take them to the auction on Tuesday! I could hopefully then get the front all cleaned up by the following Friday, then start working on the fence.

Once I have a certain part of the fence done, I'll be trying to get the sheep out of there. What I plan on doing to get her out is simple. Once I have the one fence line redone and B4 I put up the welded wire, I want to have her in the run-in. Then, I'll stretch the weld wire from the end of the run-in to the other fence. Then, I'd open the gate and start walking towards her. She'd have no place to go but thru the gate. And w/her in that field, when she's in the run-in up there, I'd do the same. That would get her in w/PT's horses where she belongs.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You have a 48 hr day there girl.....hope you get most done.

I was finishing my new hog hut couple days a go and thought of you -- with the building, cleaning, feeding, animal movements, etc. Sure felt like I was at your farm, as I had so much of the same "stuff" working. I don't have a pit to fill BUT I do have a very tall burn pile working! Similar in that it's "clean up" in progress.

This afternoon I'm gonna take a few minutes to rest before evening chores. Hope you can, too -- if not, just know I'm mentally wishing you a rest!!

Denim Deb

Reaction score
B4 hubby left today, he told me that he didn't think we were going to go and look at the truck, but he'd call me and let me know. Then just when I'm getting ready to make my breakfast, RU calls. She's babysitting and her hubby called to tell her there's horses out. So, I had to go round up horses. They took the top rail off of the slip board fence, then jumped the fence! It was easy enough to round them back up, and put them where they belonged. KN chose to work on something else over the weekend instead of the electric. Maybe it's just me, but I think the electric was the most important thing to work on.

There was no way I was going to go home and make myself some breakfast, so instead, I went to a diner. I figured I'd have the leftovers for lunch. KN knows that she owes me a breakfast.

Of course, that meant I got to the farm later than I'd planned. I got my field cleaned, went to spread manure and ran out of gas. I had no more at the farm. But, I also knew that LF wouldn't mind if I used some of hers since I've used my mower to do things for her. So, I had to walk all the way up, get gas, then bring it back, put some in the mower, spread the manure, then take the can back to LF's.

By then, it was lunch time, so I fed Stormy and ate my leftovers. Then, I went and got the tractor. The pit is now as smooth as I can get it! I also got some "dirt" to add to it. I did have to remove a bunch of baling twine from it. Then I went up front, and got some fence posts and brought them down.

Hubby finally called around 2:30 and said we weren't going to look at the truck. I'm glad I decided not to go home. If I had started to work on the goat/chicken house, I would not have been able to finish it since I still can't get the wood. But at least on Wednesday, I'll be able to get my fencing up for the chicken area. They're calling for rain on Thursday, so I'm going to work on the chicken houses in the hay stall. I'll do as much of them as I can. If they're not done, I'm going to use some feed bags and staple them in place. I need to get my chickens down there. For some reason, they've stopped eating and almost stopped laying. So, I don't know if PT has decided to start feeding them or what.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
He's changed his mind about getting something. So that means I have to continue to struggle w/out a truck. He keeps saying he's going to work on mine, and doesn't.

Just waiting for hubby to leave. Then, I need to wash clothes, get them out on the line and tackle the kitchen that he trashed. I HATE it when he does that.

I have Bible study this morning, then I'm going to work for a bit. EH wants to put up some electric fencing and doesn't have a clue as to how to do it. If I get back to the farm early enough, I want to put in some fence posts. Tomorrow, I'll be putting up the fence for my chickens!

Denim Deb

Reaction score
I made a dent in the kitchen, but didn't finish. Went to work for a couple of hours, then ran to TSC. Coming back to the farm I had a detour, then had to wait for a school bus, then got stuck behind 2 combines for well over a mile! And I was trying to get to the farm as quick as possible. Hubby was coming over to give me a hand, so I needed to get there first! I managed to get there first and get the tractor. It wasn't easy. I had a horse get out when I was trying to get in the field I needed to go thru. I was able to get him back in.

The stall wall that was in the hay stall is now out! We had to take the front wall off, then dragged it out w/the tractor. Then we had to put the front wall back up. Hubby did some of it by himself. I had done some measuring earlier and realized that I didn't have enough of the pit filled in. So, while hubby was working on that, I used the tractor to get more of the pit filled in. I need to check tomorrow and see if I have enough of it done.

It was getting dark by the time we were done. And, I couldn't get out of the field w/the tractor. The same horse got out again. KN was there, so I called her. She came over and chased the horses away from the gate, so I was able to get out. Then RU shows up. She had a horse colicking that she wanted some help with. I couldn't stay. I needed to finish up and leave. But, I had Banamine in the jeep. So, I got Stormy and the chickens fed, got hay out, then took the Banamine to her. Then I left.

Got home, got animals fed, got clothes off the line, got the fire going and brought in some wood. Then I changed my clothes and went out to dinner. Now I'm relaxing and will be going to bed soon. Tomorrow is going to be busy. I'm hoping that by the time I leave I have the fence up and all the wood in the hay stall. They're calling for rain on Thursday, so I plan on working on the chicken houses in there.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Today is going to be super busy. I want to put hardware cloth all along the bottom edge of the chicken area fence. I just wasn't sure what I was going to buy, and had to do some research first. I've found it, and it means going back to where I got the other fence. But, at least it will fit in the jeep w/no problem. The store opens at 7:30. I plan on being there as early as I can.

Once I get to the farm, I'll be feeding, then cleaning the field. I still haven't gotten the whole field cleaned. It keeps raining, making it impossible to get into the field to work-unless I were to leave the mower in the field. I may do that so I can work on Friday if I have the time. Then w/that done, I'll be checking to see if I have enough of the pit filled in, then getting right to work on the fence.

My goal for today is simple. Get the posts all in and the fencing all up. I need to cut the floors and paint the bottom of them as well as the legs. Once the paint is dry, put the legs on. Then, w/that done, get all the wood into the hay stall that I'm going to need. I'm going to be sure that my batteries are all charged today so I can get to work tomorrow and work basically all day. I don't know if I have enough wood, but I'll do as much as I can tomorrow. If I need more wood, I can fit 2x4s in the jeep, as well as the pieces of the wooden bins I buy. I'd get them on Friday-I hope. If I can't get them then, I'll use feed sacks for now and staple them in place. The stuff I use for roofing will fit-as long as I put it in very carefully. So hopefully, I'll have my chickens down there by the end of the week!

When hubby was there yesterday, he told me about someone that has some free fill dirt. After I got home from dinner, he started talking about coming out and helping me clean out the rest of the pit, then getting this dirt and filling it in. I don't care if I don't get the dirt, but I'd love for him to help me clean out the pit. And he said he now likes my horses. Of course, he was drunk at the time, so we'll see.