Denim Deb Hay, hay, hay. Thank the Lord!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I have some varieties of eggplant and peppers up and all the varieties of my tomatoes. If the rest of my peppers and eggplants don't come up, I still have enough time to replant them. I have more trouble starting them than anything else.

Today was a good day-to stay inside! It snowed this morning. So after I fed, I went to TSC and got chicken feed and feed for Stormy. While I was in there, I checked to see how much of the fencing they had. They have more than enough rolls! And, I have enough cash! So, it's just a matter of figuring out how I'm going to get it home.

When I got back to the farm, I fed Stormy, put the feed in the cans and finished cleaning my tack shed. There's still some stuff that I need to go thru and some stuff I need to wash, but I need warmer weather for that.

Now I'm home waiting for hubby to get done work. He had to work overtime. In a way, I'm glad. I need some new barn boots. Now I can get them this weekend. My old pair is falling apart.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Now that's more like it! I got 20 eggs today from 22 chickens! I only have one flock that I don't know that they're all laying. All the others are.

I went out in the woods today and got some wood. I should have enough to last until Monday. And, it wasn't that hard to get. Some of the trees I was actually able to pull out of the ground. I'm hoping I can start spending an hour most days on wood. If I can, I should be able to start putting it up for next year. It's going to start getting warmer. I don't see me using another cord B4 the end of winter and I'm just below 3 cords for the year! What a change from last winter.

I have more of my peppers and eggplants up. I'm going to be transplanting what I can on Monday. I'm going to be buying some shelves in TSC tomorrow. That will give me a place to put them. I just hope they'll all fit! I more tomatoes than I need, so hopefully I can sell some.

I talked to my brother today. He's going to meet me at TSC tomorrow w/his truck! So, I'll not only be able to buy all of my fencing, I'll be able to get it out to the farm.

I told hubby that I need my truck. I don't have anything planned for next weekend. So, if the weather's nice, I'm going to push for him to get it done. And, if he doesn't, I'm going to tell him I'll do it myself. This is ridiculous. It's been 5 months that I haven't had it.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Well, my brother forgot to come and get the fencing so I had to call him. (While I was waiting, I actually remember to call my sister and wish her a Happy Birthday. I normally forget until sometime later in the month.) But, it's at the farm! And LS and her SO, R, are going to help me w/the fencing. Hubby will be working a lot of weekends, so I know he won't be around (which is OK since he'd try to boss the job), but between the 3 of us, I can't see it taking more than one day. I was not looking forward to doing it by myself. I need to redo 2 lines of the slip board fencing, hang 3 gates and replace a couple of broken fence posts first. But, once it's done, we can get the goat and the sheep out of the field. I'm hoping to have the RP done by then as well as having the field divided. Then, we can work w/the horses.

I also got a new pair of boots. I decided to go w/a slightly different style. They had one pair in my size. But, it was missing the laces and a little leather flap that goes over the laces. So, they gave me $20.00 off!

Hubby still hasn't figured out what to do about the Blazer, but he did put the battery back in my motorcycle. I took it for a test drive-wasn't really dressed for it, and it ran good. So, I'll be riding the bike all week. It's going up to the 70s mid week, so it will be nice weather for it. Only problem being, I only have enough hay out at the farm to last until Thursday. I need to figure out a way to get some out there. Wednesday evening, I'll be going out, and I'll be near the farm, so I may stick a tarp in the back of hubby's Jeep, and throw a few bales in there. That would hopefully get me to the weekend. Then, if he can have my truck fixed, I can take out a bunch on either Sunday or Monday.

I have a lot to do and he's gone, so I'd better get started.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Sounds like progress!! This time of year is great, winter is losing its grip and things can start to get started for spring, and wrapped up from winter when they couldn't be done at all. Of course the mud isn't fun... but everything else is great!

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Right now, we don't have any mud. I'm so glad. I was so sick of it. The only good thing about the cold was the ground was frozen, so no mud.

Got a lot done, but not as much as I wanted to. I would have gotten more done, but the only thing I have now that I can take to the farm is my motorcycle. I cannot carry hay, feed or gas on it. And that really messed me up for getting stuff done.

This morning, I was able to get some of the laundry caught up. I still have some shirts that need to be ironed, and have a load in the dryer. But, it's not as bad as it was. And since 2 eggs broke when I was washing them, I had to make brownies. I haven't made any goodies for quite some time now. Hubby doesn't want me to make them, then complains when we don't have them. I also got some of my living room cleaned. I still have a ways to go, but it's getting there.

Got to the farm, got everyone fed, then started working on cleaning LF's field. Her hubby and DM's SO showed up to do some work to her barn. While they were there, I had LF's hubby help me get my one chicken coop back on bricks. When the roof got tore off and ended up in my field, the one chicken coop moved off its bricks, and I couldn't get it back on. It settled into the ground. We had to use a 4x4 to get it up, then put the bricks under it. I got quite a bit of her field done, and would have probably finished except for one thing. I needed gas for my mower. RU told me she was going to get diesel, so she'd give me a ride.

I worked until she was ready to leave. She had to go to the bank. I waited out in her truck for at least 10 minutes. Then we went to the gas station right next to the bank. I got my gas, but they didn't have diesel. So, we leave to go to another one. I couldn't figure out how we were going, so I finally asked her. She forgot she needed to get the diesel! So that put us a couple of miles out of the way.

We get the diesel. Then she calls her hay guy and tells him she's going to drop off money. He was plowing a field and she started going to wrong way to get to where he was. We get there, and have to wait for him to drive the tractor up to her. By the time we got back to the farm, it was a lot later than I'd planned on being back. I had the spreader partially filled. I finished filling it, then spread it and got done there.

Since I don't have any way to pick up feed, I told hubby that he was going to have to meet me at the feed store. But, I needed to go to another store first. Since I'm planning on taking my extra plants to the auction, I decided I'd transplant them into Styrofoam cups. That way, I can write on the cup what the plant is as well as a description and planting instructions. So, I went and got a pack B4 heading to the feed store. Hubby was already there by the time I got there.

We get the feed, then head back to the farm. We get the feed and a bag of shavings unloaded. Then, we load up some stuff that I needed to take home. I didn't tell him what the one thing was that I loaded in the Jeep. I had an old feed bag filled w/something, then tied at top w/baling twine. I stuck this in one of the smaller manure buckets I have. He was going to run some errands B4 coming home. He changed his mind. Did I ever mention that my porta potty takes bags that you remove when they get full? I needed to replace the bag, and have no other way to get the full bag home for now. I figured this might be an incentive for him to fix my truck.

At home, I didn't have time to do any wood or work in the garden. I did get dinner made, then transplanted as many tomatoes as I could. I ran out of cups, so I'll get more tomorrow. Hopefully I'll have the time I need tomorrow to finish transplanting them. The peppers and eggplants can wait. I also decided to try to start onions from seeds. I just sprinkled those seeds over some seed starter in foil baking pans.

It's going to be warm the rest of the week. So, I'm hoping I have time to work on both wood and the garden. By the end of them month, I want to get stuff in there. Plus, w/as warm as it is, I can hopefully start on getting some wood done for next winter.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
I think I've finally kicked the last of the cold. So I'm back to getting stuff done. The bathroom is clean. I did more dishes. I cleaned more of the living room then got a shelving unit from TSC set up and put most of my tomatoes on it. I still have room to put more plants on, but didn't have any more of the cups to put them in.

I get to the farm, get horses fed and notice a mini in my field! I looked and saw another one. Have I ever mentioned that I hate slip board fence? My name for it is firewood. It looks nice when you first put it up, then it starts to warp. And you get horses that will just bust thru it, or take it apart. At least this time, all that they did was take out a center board. So I put that in. Then I had to get the minis' rounded up and out of my field B4 I could put hay out. They did not want to go out. I was finally able to drive them out back to where they belong. Only problem being, Willow got into that field so then I had to catch her and get her back where she belonged. Of course that put me behind and I was late for Bible study. After Bible study, LS and I got the field cleaned.

W/the field cleaned, we tried one of my saddles on Willow. The saddle that came w/her doesn't fit. So, I was hoping mine would. No such luck. It may just be that she needs a different style of pad. And, I don't have any other out at the farm. So, I put everything away, got Stormy and the chickens fed, got out hay and went home.

I was going to do some firewood, but it was just too hot. It's going to be above average for the next few days, so I'm going to wait. I did go out w/my MC group.

Tomorrow, I get to go see about doing nature lessons at a summer day camp! So, I need to leave for the farm early so I can leave early enough to get there. I hope this works out. But if it doesn't, I know God has another plan for me.