Do you grow figs?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@MoonShadows you have quite a web site! Your hard work shows and I love the story about your Grandma. My Grandmother made strawberry fig preserves and I could eat the whole jar. I see you have fig preserves on your web site, but not strawberry fig. It is made with strawberry Jello, so it might not fit in your all natural product line up, but perhaps you could mix strawberries with the figs. I made a batch that I mixed blackberries with and it was so good!

6 cups figs-mashed
6 cups sugar
1 cup water
3 (3) oz strawberry jello
1 box sure jell

Boil figs, sugar and water for 30 minutes.
Add jello and sure jell and boil 2 minutes longer.
Pack in hot sterile jars and cap lids on.
I got 5 pint jars plus a little bit I put in a plastic dish and refrigerated.

And I made this recipe up

Lemon Fig Preserves

3 cups sliced figs-thin
Zest of 1 lemon
Juice of 3 lemons
2 cups sugar

Bring to a boil, them simmer on medium heat until it thickens up. Pack in hot jars and water bath. I got 2-- 1/2 pint jars and 1 pint jar.

I am excited for you and I hope your fig tree does well for you. We moved a year ago and planting a fig tree is coming up in the next week or two.

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thank you very much, baymule. I am very proud of our little website, especially since I am the designer and have done all the work on it. I am totally self-taught in website design, since I am too cheap to pay someone to do it. ;)

We brought on fig jam about two years ago when we started getting requests for it, and it has been a good seller for us. I just added a recipe on our recipe page for Baked Camembert with Toasted Pecans & Fig Jam yesterday.

We have grown in size over the years, so we cannot possibly provide all the fruit and vegetables that go into our products. Even buying locally is a tough chore because it becomes so time consuming. Often, we have to purchase through a broker and have the fruit & veggies delivered to different locations. Our products are made by us and a small group of artisans that we have come to know since we started over 10 years ago. Everyone's effort is combined to produce about 125 products. Last year we sold just under 20,000 jars. To think it all started in our kitchen making a few cases a week to sell at a local flea market as a way to make some extra money.

Thanks for sharing those recipes of yours. Strawberry Fig Preserves sounds yummy! This year we will start using our own figs in some of the jam....we hope!