Dreaming...

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
:lol: We underpriced the farm deliberately, hoping for a quick sale, but nearly 6 months and endless views later I'm starting to wonder what on earth people want?

Go up on the price. Just go up on the price. Tell your tenant that if his son doesn't want it at the price you now have it, you are going up because you made a mistake in under pricing it. Sometimes people think something is wrong because of a cheaper price.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Don't dare me @baymule I'm so fed-up… I said in the listing "urgent sale due to health reasons" meaning MIL. I explained the situation to prospective buyers, that she can't stay here by herself any more, her health took a turn for the worse and we can stay here with her due to job commitments. So we're underpricing it, cutting our losses, hoping it will sell quick.

On a side note, this is just depressing… http://www.daft.ie/sales/property-at-folio-oy14149f-wood-of-o-tullamore-offaly/1013162/

I'll bet it cost way more than 40k to get the house up to that level.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
You don't want it. There's not enough land. :hide

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
How did you know?? :hide It's a wonderful house, but not "me" and definitely nowhere near enough land. I popped it in here to show you guys just how bad things are getting out there property-wise. Whoever build this is losing a lot of money, even if they get 40k. It's just sad.

I've been checking out the Longford property I linked before that, the 25k one with the nice barn (I'm not buying a house, I'm buying land with a barn :p) The nearest big town to the property is Longford, about 6 miles away. Longford's population in 2011 was just over 9,000 and that was about a 1/3 of the entire county's population, right there. It's not one of the biggest counties, but wow… Interesting.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@sumi I spent years in retail sales. When something just wasn't moving, we put it in a different location and raised the price. You would not believe how often this worked. Sometimes the very same people who came in looking for the perfect item, who had rejected it as not what they wanted, were the very same ones who bought it at a higher price. Go figure.

What could you do to slightly change the appearance? Can you paint it? Plant flowers? Build a rock flower bed? Paint the front door yellow? And raise the price to market value or above. Ya' got nuthin' to lose....... then you "come down" and they think they really got a good deal.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
@baymule, my husband used to deal with antiques and knickknacks and he told me how, at markets, he'd move things around and up the price to sell them. It doesn't make sense, but it works.

We should've repainted it months ago, when we had the budget and no tenants. I even briefly considered opening the house up again, by replacing the doors they've bricked up between them and MIL's flat. But she'd have a litter of pups if we do that. We have expanded the garden a bit and it's looking great at the moment. I think if our prospective buyers, who were last coming down on the 8th, or our tenants's son doesn't come through for us and buy this place I may just bump the price up again, though we didn't have any joy at the higher price either...

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I read about a similar thing happening to a jeweler... He was at a show and nothing was happening. He ended up just quietly upping the prices of all his jewelry pieces 40% and within an hour of doing so he was making sales. Go figger...

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
It may not be necessary… A lady we know phoned us this morning. She moved from here to another town, but now wants to come back here and she saw our place is for sale. She hasn't got the full asking price in cash, but is busy trying to see what she can come up with and she's coming to visit us tomorrow, so we can talk. She phoned us about 4 times, asking questions, asking we email her pics, etc. She's very interested, so let's see what happens tomorrow? :)

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Not-good agent just phoned. He brought some people round that I have absolutely no recollection of... Anyway, he said something about they put in an offer for our place and he's on his was to see us. We're waiting now to hear him out and see what the offer is. DH said he didn't sound exited, so I don't know if it was an under offer or what. We'll know soon I guess?