Dreaming...

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Unfortunately there isn't anything we can do to hurry the process along. I'm not happy about having to wait so long for them, I wish their son got organised earlier, even if he didn't use the loan, I wish he had it in place so long. His parents applied for theirs already?

Hopefully asking them for a deposit will motivate them.. I think we should tell them if they're unwilling to do that, we'll consider other offers. Not nice, but we're gambling on these people and all we have is their word.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
If they are serious about buying, and truly believe son will get the loan, I don't see how they can quibble about this. You're not asking for MORE money, just some of it up front.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We have a couple of sayings for situations like this.....

Put up or shut up
Money talks, bull-S*** walks

goatgurl

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
i think the earnest money is a great idea, why didn't we think of that sooner. if they say no for any reason then you can move on to the next person. good going baymule. and my sayings are "jack, the bear makes big tracks but goes no where" or "talks cheap but whiskey costs money" and last but not least "put your money where your mouth is"

Last edited:

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I spoke to the husband/father briefly yesterday and he said we need to "sit down and have a talk" about the sale and everything. Soon. Xmas and new year and all that craziness is done and over now, thankfully, so we can get down to business and get this ball rolling now. DH and I are going to tell them we want a deposit and as I said before, if they don't want to do that, we'll get back to all the other people who are interested. I've had no less than 5 people email me last week in response to the online ad I put up a few weeks ago. So there is a lot of interest still… These people need to commit financially or get out.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Pee or get off the pot. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Sumi, I was reading on a survival site last night and read a thread from a woman in SA. She compared her daily life to survival living. I knew crime was bad, but I didn't know how bad. She lives in Gauteng and detailed security issues. She did say that many areas in SA are still very safe with low crime rates. But just her description of her daily life made me really grateful that I live where I do. She said they used to leave doors unlocked when she was a child, but that crime has gotten real bad in the last 10 years.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Things are hotting up here in the states as well. We are even seeing thefts of food and farm animals here in Oregon, not just valuables.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
@baymule things are very, very bad here. I live near a tiny town in the Western Cape region, so far one of the best places to live here, and here even things are getting ridiculous. In the 3 years prior to us going to Ireland we were robbed/broken into 7 times. My car got broken into as well. Violent crimes and murders are very common everywhere now. Gauteng is insane, but there is crime everywhere now. I looked at our murder statistics and we have on average 48 murders committed in this country DAILY and that is probably not counting all of them. We had a horrible "farm murder" here locally a few weeks ago and the newspapers pointedly said the old lady died because of something unrelated to the attack… She didn't get murdered, oh no, it wasn't that! :ep Makes me sick...

@Britesea livestock theft is now called "pot theft" here and the police get annoyed when we report it, because they feel it's acceptable practice. In their opinion the "rich farmers" should "support" the poor and not complain when their sheep and pigs disappear. I've lost many chickens to theft and all our neighbours lost pigs and sheep, to the point where some stopped raising livestock.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I will be so happy for you when you get out of there.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Thanks @baymule :hugs I would be so relieved when all this is over and I can take my precious child to a safe, happy place where people are still nice and look out for and help each other. Ireland is not perfect, no place is, but there is so much love, tolerance, patience and GOOD in that country. It was heaven after SA...